Posted 18 years ago by Guy
Your first question might be why?

Well we still write code in an old 4GL for DOS ported to windows. The front end displays screens that suport the old ASCII line drawing. Therefore the 4GL source files contain these characters and when opened in the editor need to display the DOS ASCII line drawing characters instead of things like Ç ü é.

The long of the short is that we are trying to write an editor/IDE so we don't have to use the old QED32 for DOS which of course supports line drawing.

This required two things. One was to setup the SyntaxEditor with an ASCII True Type font and to read the text files using UTF7 encoding.

1. Download an ASCII True Type font.
For example an ASCII font can be download from here: ASCII True Type font

2. Install font by copying to the Font folder in windows.

3. Setup the SyntaxEditor font to use the ASCII font.

2. Load a file stream with UTF7.

syntaxEditor.Document.LoadFile(@"c:\logon.4gl",Encoding.UTF7);

- GB

[Modified at 10/22/2005 07:36 PM]

Comments (3)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Guy,

Did it all work ok? I didn't see a question in the posting so I didn't know if you were posting for other customers' information or not.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Guy
Thanks for asking, yes!

I did get it to work after some hours of sleuthing or is that googling. I was just posting a suggestion in case anyone else (now or in the future) might have a need for DOS ASCII. I know I did and would have to pass up the editor if I could not get it to work. Posting my solution might help in cutting down the time someone else would have to go through that I went through.

Knowing the obscurity of the request for DOS ASCII it took a while to find things related to good old DOS. Like the True Type font and then figuring out if missing charters was a SyntaxEditor issue not rendering fonts or if the text being loaded into the Document was encoded correctly.

- GB
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Great, thanks for helping out!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.