Problems with tab indexes

Wizard for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Marten Wallin
Hi,

#1: We've got a problem with the way the wizard behaves when pressing tab to switch between the last control of the wizardpage and the Next button. Sometimes the focus disappears and you need to hit the tab key 3-4 times before the focus reappears on the Next button.

However, if you first hit Next and then Back so you end up on the very same wizardpage again, this issue disappears and there are no extra tabs required to go from the last control to the Next button.

#2: A similar problem is that the focus is set to the Next button the first time you load the first page of the wizard and not the first control of the wizard page. This is not always the case, only on some wizards and I've failed to see exactly why the behaviours are different. Again, if you first press Next and then Back to go back the focus is correctly set to the first control.

I'd be very happy if you could point me in the right direction. My tab key on my keyboard is getting really tired by now. :=)

Comments (4)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Marten,

It sounds almost like the other WizardPages (not the first one) are visible behind the first page initially, which shouldn't be happening. But that would make sense since your TAB focus is probably switching to controls on the pages behind the first one. Do you have the latest maintenance release?

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for the fast response!

Unfortunately we have version 2.00.0080. Is this a known issue with earlier versions like that?

Is there anything in the latest release that could stop this from happening? Or is it "just" a general advice?
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I think this is something that we fixed in 3.0 somewhere along the line, that's why I asked. However what I described is what I believe the problem is.

To do a workaround, after your form loads, I would iterate through the Wizard.Pages collection and make sure all pages that are not the Wizard.SelectedPage has Visible = false. Just do that once after form load, and it will probably resolve the issue.

Let me know if that helps.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks again,

Unfortunately this behaviour remains even if I explicitly set Visible = false on the second page (it's just a two page wizard).

We're probably going to upgrade to the latest version in our next release of our software. It's too late for us to get it into our current release.

It does work correctly on some wizards though. On the ones where we don't have a user control at the top of the next page.

I'll do some more testing and I will report back here if I make it work.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.