Outlining.RootNode invalid

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Stephan Ziep
Hi again,

My Outling works fine, I can collapse/expand all my OutliningNodes. But when I programmaticly want to collapse certain Nodes in the PostParse() method of my SemanticParser, my Outlining RootNode.StartOffset is -1 and it says that there are no Ancestors. Although I can see plenty of them in my Editor.
The OutlingNodeActions are set just like in the Sample Application. What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Stephan Ziep

Comments (5)

Second question: can you give me a hint on how to persist Outlining information when swapping Documents or even between application sessions?
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Stephan,

The RootNode is sort of an "invisible" node that contains any nodes that you actually see. Think of it like a root XML tag in an XML document. We need to have a single root, so it acts as a parent to all the real nodes in the document.

We haven't tried persisting outlining state between document sessions but I imagine doing a recursive traversal through the node tree and storing the start/end and collapsed states would work. Then when restoring, look for matches and set the collapsed states appropriately.

Actipro Software Support

Alright, stupid me :). It seems I mixed up ancestor with descendant. So to get the children of the RootNode I have to use 'GetEnumerator()', right?
The only problem is that my RootNode contains no Children. Count is 0 :(.
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
If there are outlining nodes visible then they will be children of the RootNode. For instance if I do this in the sample app with the C# sample showing, I get a value of 1 (namespace node):
editor.Document.Outlining.RootNode.Count

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Adam Dickinson
No, that's not the case (at least in ver 3.1.203 .NET 1.1). RootNode always has 0 for Count and no children, no matter how many nodes there actually are. GetEnumerator doesn't iterate over anything. Please advise.

UPDATE:
Ah, I see now. The outlining must be being cleared when we do a lexical parse, then filled when we do a semantic parse. I'm doing a full reparse so by the time we call PreParse(...), the RootNode is empty. I just need to save my OutliningNode info sooner.

[Modified at 06/01/2006 01:15 PM]
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.