IntelliPrompt.InfoTip Doesn't Go Away

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 20 years ago by elmogallen
I just downloaded the evaluation version of the SyntaxEditor control, and I've been poking around in the included VB.NET sample.

I noticed that if I type Invalidate( the InfoTip is displayed as it should, but then when I hit ENTER, it stays there instead of going away. When I type then, it's behind the InfoTip so that I can't see what I'm typing.

The InfoTip doesn't go away until I click somewhere.

Dave

Comments (8)

Posted 20 years ago by Marianne
That's just an issue with the sample. In a real application, you typically assign "(" as a trigger to initiate an InfoTip and you also assign ")" as a trigger to hide an infotip if one is displayed.

In my experience, it's more than flexible enough to handle even the most complicated demands.

------------------------------- Marianne

I thought that might be the case, and I fooled around with it a bit, but I couldn't figure out how to make the ENTER key trigger closing the InfoTip.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm sure there's an event or method I'm not seeing...

Thanks,
Dave
Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Handling ENTER is a little trickier because there is an action that catches it and thus it never hits the KeyDown event. One way is to override ProcessCmdKey and add handling there. Another way would be to see if the line number changes in SelectionChanged once it is opened and close it if so.

By the way, we're open to all suggestions for improvement in this area. The latest maintenance release added description tips to member lists. I know that the info tips could probably use some enhancements to support things like closing on ENTER key presses, etc. If you would like to post specs on some features you'd like to see implemented, please do so.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for the quick reply.

It would be great if you could just handle the InfoTip thing in the editor control itself. It looks like VS.NET closes all InfoTips when the user presses ENTER. I can't really think of a scenario where you'd want it to remain after you've pressed ENTER.

I have to admit, the Syntax Editor control is NICE. You guys have done a great job with it. It's exactly what I've been looking for. If I can get the InfoTip to go away I'll probably be buying it next week.

Dave
I still can't seem to trap the ENTER key, even if I override ProcessCmdKey.

Can you give me any help -- maybe a VB.Net sample of how to go about trapping it? So far that's the only thing I don't like about the control. I just wish I could make the InfoTips go away when I want them to...

I want to write an assembly language editor, so I can't use Marianne's suggestion. There aren't any parentheses.

Thanks,
Dave Haynes
Dave,

We've got code for them to dismiss when ENTER is pressed all ready for the next maintenance release, which will probably come out Sunday.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 20 years ago by GMilano
Mmm, VS.Net does not close the info tip when you press enter, and this is because there are some methods with a lot of parameters and you need to use a couple of lines without lost the infotip, I suggest only configurate the characters.

Another thing that I would be great is that the infotip bold the current parameter, I mean now I have to handle the ',' and refresh the infotip, this could be automatic.
I was expecting something like

InfoTip.Add( new MethodInfo(name, returnType, parameters) );

Then syntaxEditor should manages the currentparameter and when to close the infotip.
Good point... also for the info tip, there are a couple issues with automatically handling those. First is that we have to allow you to use info tips for non-.NET languages as well in which case that automated behavior would not work. However I suppose we could have two different modes, like a manual and automatic. Second, while I like the idea of adding a way to populate it using reflection, having it track which item to bold is very difficult and almost needs to be handled differently for each language, don't you agree?

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.