Outlining-related questions/requests

CodeHighlighter for ASP.NET Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Calum Chisholm - Ingen Process Ltd.
Hi,
I'm currently working on a web-based tool which displays simple snippets of vb.net code to a user. It is my intention to replace blocks of code with a human-readable equivalent using collapsed regions.

For example, for the code
return value_lookup(0,10) + value_lookup(1,15)
I would add labelled regions
Calculation result = #Region " [Apples (current month)] " value_lookup(0,10) #End Region + #Region " [Oranges (previous month)] " value_lookup(1,15) #End Region
And the end-user would see
Calculation result = [Apples (current month)] + [Oranges (previous month)]
I have already used this approach with some sucess in a windows-based app using the SyntaxEditor control.

The problem is that CodeHighlighter doesn't appear to support single-line regions (or multiple regions on a single line). I'm not particularly familiar with the language-definition stuff - is there a change I could make to my parser class to support this functionality?

It would also be handy if the outline checkbox column could be independantly enabled/disabled. I realise I can do this using javascript or CSS, but doing it server-side would be nicer.

Regards,
Calum Chisholm

Comments (4)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Calum,

It should expand/collapse a single region on a line ok. However with multiple nodes on a line, it currently only expands/collapses the first one. If the box is clicked, should it just operate on all the nodes on the line?

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for your response.

The SyntaxEditor behaviour is to expand/collapse all regions on the line when the checkbox is toggled. I think this is probably the right approach.

I haven't managed to get single-line regions working yet - is the demo page up to date? If I paste the following line into it -
#Region " Test " my_function() #End Region
It collapses to
Test " my_function() #End Region
I have performed some testing locally against version 3.0.14.0, and have noticed similar problems with mismatched quotes.
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I believe that is actually correct per the VB.NET language definition. Regions are defined as each preprocessor element being on a separate line. If you had a single line statement like that and pasted it in code, VS would complain about it because it's a compile error. Our language definition works similarly and in this case thinks the #End Region is part of your #Region description.

Actipro Software Support

Yep, it does look like vb.net doesn't like single-line regions. This doesn't cause me any compilation problems, as I only add them at display-time. I only use them for the UI functionality they provide (in SyntaxEditor, at least).

Is there an alternative method I could use to collapse multiple sections of code on a single line?

My (somewhat messy) alternative is to split the code into sections, render each separately, render my human-readable sections outwith SyntaxEditor, and then finally glue it all together. This would be simplified if I could instruct CodeHighlighter to render a block of code as plain text. Is this possible?
The latest build of this product (v4.0.59) was released 13 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.