Trouble with UIStudio

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Marianne
I am having an enourmous amount of difficulty in getting UIStudio to work at all. Having used the previous version I thought this would present minimal difficulty, but unfortunately am very dissapointed with the results thus far.

In tracking down the problem I removed everything from my app except the main form. Then I added a 3rd party toolbar control at the top of the application, which works fine. Then I add the DockingManager and add two empty toolwindows. This works fine as well. As soon as I put a user control into any of the toolwindows and attempt to rebuild the solution, the entire form disappears and when I attempt to run what was just built, the toolbars have been deleted! After which, the designer shows me this error:

One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The errors are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your project, while others may require code changes.

The designer loader did not provide a root component but has not indicated why.

So, at this point, even the most basic task of creating a toolwindow seems impossibly difficult. This is a real disappointment given the quality of products I've seen up until now. I've done a quick test against a different docking product and have not seen the same problem, so I don't think its a problem with the toolbar control. Please tell me what I need to do to get this working.

------------------------------- Marianne

Comments (1)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Is this VS 2005? We've seen a bunch of odd designer bugs in VS 2005 even when not using third-party controls at all.

Look at posts like these across the internet related to VS 2005 (there are plenty of them)... these people have your same issue without third-party controls and some decide to go back to VS 2003 because of how unstable VS 2005's designer is:
A blog post
A newsgroup post

Microsoft basically dropped the ball when ensuring VS 2005's stability. There are a lot of MVPs as well who are angry about this. And we are very unhappy as well because it makes our products look bad, even if it isn't something that's our fault.

We just posted something that might help but could be an unrelated issue:
http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Support/Forums/ViewForumTopic.aspx?ForumTopicID=1308

The issue in our forum post above is something that we found while testing our new bar controls but noticed that other well known third-party control companies had run into the same thing. That particular issue is another Visual Studio bug that seems to apply to all Visual Studio versions.

We will be happy to work with you to try and get your designer working. Just send us an e-mail and we can converse over that about this.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.