loading SyntaxLanguage and bracket hightlighting bug

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Joris Koster - Paragon Decision Technology
Hi,

I think I found a bug in loading the SyntaxLanguage object from an encoded XML stream.

Consider the following relevant language spec:

<SyntaxLanguage Key="BracketHLTest" LanguageDefinitionVersion="3.0" Secure="True"
                xmlns="http://ActiproSoftware/SyntaxEditor/3.0/LanguageDefinition">
    <!-- States -->
    <States>
        <!-- Code -->
        <State Key="DefaultState">
            <Scopes>
                <Scope BracketHighlight="True">
                    <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="StartScope" TokenKey="BracketStartToken" PatternValue="(" />
                    <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="EndScope" TokenKey="BracketEndToken" PatternValue=")" />
                </Scope>
            </Scopes>
            <ChildStates>
                <ChildState Key="DefaultState" />
            </ChildStates>
        </State>
    </States>        
</SyntaxLanguage>
when loading this language from a file- or memorystream, the bracket-highligting will fail if (and only if) the stream is encoded. When loading using a filename there seems to be no problem.

Small example code to demonstrate the problem; syntaxEditor1 and 2 both have the BracketHighlightingVisible property set to true, but nevertheless syntaxEditor2 will not show the brackethighlighting.

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{

System.Int32 encodeKey            = 1234;
    System.String plainFilename        = "../../test.xml";
    System.String encodedFilename    = "../../test.enc";

// create an encoded xml file
    ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage thePlainLanguage =
        ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage.LoadFromXml( plainFilename, 0 );
    thePlainLanguage.SaveToXml(encodedFilename, encodeKey);

// open the plain text stream
    System.IO.FileStream streamPlain = 
        new System.IO.FileStream(plainFilename, 
            System.IO.FileMode.Open, System.IO.FileAccess.Read, System.IO.FileShare.Read);

// load the language from the plain text stream
    ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage languagePlain = 
        ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage.LoadFromXml(
        streamPlain, 0);

// set the syntax-language for the first editor
    syntaxEditor1.Document.Language = languagePlain;

// open the encoded text stream
    System.IO.FileStream streamEncoded = 
        new System.IO.FileStream(encodedFilename, 
            System.IO.FileMode.Open, System.IO.FileAccess.Read, System.IO.FileShare.Read);

// load the language from the encoded text stream
    ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage languageEncoded = 
        ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxLanguage.LoadFromXml(
        streamEncoded, encodeKey);

// set the syntax-language for the second editor
    syntaxEditor2.Document.Language = languageEncoded;
}
I'm not sure if the problem is in my language-spec, but nevertheless I would expect both cases to be correct xor incorrect.

Comments (2)

Posted 14 years ago by Joris Koster - Paragon Decision Technology
By toggling the "Secure" property to false, setting the "encodeKey" to 0, and examining the "test.enc" file, I found out that the "BracketHighlight" property of the "Scope" tag isn't serialized: (amongst other things) the generated key=0 XML file contains:

<!-- Scopes -->
<Scopes>
    <Scope>
        <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="StartScope" TokenKey="BracketStartToken" PatternValue="(" EndBracket="" />
        <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="EndScope" TokenKey="BracketEndToken" PatternValue=")" StartBracket="" />
    </Scope>
</Scopes>
in stead of the original:

<Scopes>
    <Scope BracketHighlight="True">
        <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="StartScope" TokenKey="BracketStartToken" PatternValue="(" />
        <ExplicitPatternGroup Type="EndScope" TokenKey="BracketEndToken" PatternValue=")" />
    </Scope>
</Scopes>
Maybe it is possible to achieve the same effect (nesting depth increase and highlighting) by defining the language differently... and thus circumventing this serialization/encoding problem. Any tips/bugfixes/workarounds?

thanks,
Joris
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yes, I am working on it now and found the same thing. It's a bug that will be fixed for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0342) was released 11 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.