How to add DocumentWindow in design time

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Raymond Ng
I am evaluating UIDockingStudio Evaluation (version).

I can't found DocumentWindow in my tool window list. How can I add a DocumentWindow in design time?

[Modified at 04/11/2006 02:23 AM]

Comments (4)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Raymond,

Document windows are intended to have a lifetime that is not persistent. Meaning they are supposed to be a document that you open at run-time and close at run-time. Therefore they cannot be created in a dock layout at design time.

You can design a tool window at design time and then later place it in the MDI area though.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Steve Weller
The application I am working on is based around fixed "document" windows with supporting information in tool windows, rather than the document model you mention. Would be nice to have design time support for working in this way also.
Posted 14 years ago by Martin Merkel
I have the same application architecture. A number of tool windows, one of which may become a document window, centered around fixed document windows. Currently I create my document windows from C# code, though design time support would be much nicer, as it would simplify handling of internationalization resources.
In fact, it is also quite annoying that if add document windows from your C# code, that the dock panel designer breaks and you have to reload this view each time you compile your code.
I know that it is quite some time since this issue was raised, but I consider fixed document windows that are surrounded by a number of complementary tool windows a fairly common use case, so it would have been nice if Actipro could have fixed this issue.

[Modified at 11/08/2009 07:49 AM]
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Martin,

Can you email over a simple sample project that shows the issue so that we can take a look? Thanks.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.