Building Demo app on fresh Vista RC1 causes security errors

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Martin Wawrusch 2
Hi,

I just installed the latest beta on a fresh Vista RC1 (english). Installation itself went smoothly. However, opening the samples and starting to build them resulted in errors as Vista, by default, does not allow modifications in the Program Files folder. I had to manually add my account to the actipro folder to sucessfully build the demo. Perhaps you should consider installing the demos in another place, maybe within a subfolder of Documents.

Comments (5)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the note. I'm not sure where else we could put the files, especially since Program Files is typically where program-related files are supposed go. Ugh, Microsoft design changes can be frustrating sometimes.

Is it the cache stuff for the .NET Languages Add-on (which writes cache files) the thing that is causing the problem? Most applications that install to Program Files do write temp files so it doesn't make any sense that that would be a problem. Oh wait you said building the example caused the problem. Do you know what step it died on?

We don't have Vista installed anywhere so any info you could send over on this issue is much appreciated.

Actipro Software Support

>>Ugh, Microsoft design changes can be frustrating sometimes.
I know the feeling :-)

>> Do you know what step it died on?

It could not create the bin folders during compilation. I am not the Vista expert myself so maybe there is an easier better solution, but the Documents (formerly MyDocuments) folder has read/write access for the current user. Perhaps the installer should make a copy of the samples and place in into Documents\Actipro Software\Syntax Editor Samples and place a link in the startup menu there instead of the programs folder. This obviously works only for the user that installed the Syntax Editor but I doubt that developer machines are shared by different developers.
>>Ugh, Microsoft design changes can be frustrating sometimes.
I know the feeling :-)

>> Do you know what step it died on?

It could not create the bin folders during compilation. I am not the Vista expert myself so maybe there is an easier better solution, but the Documents (formerly MyDocuments) folder has read/write access for the current user. Perhaps the installer should make a copy of the samples and place in into Documents\Actipro Software\Syntax Editor Samples and place a link in the startup menu there instead of the programs folder. This obviously works only for the user that installed the Syntax Editor but I doubt that developer machines are shared by different developers.
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Geez... if they don't even let their own Visual Studio product compile code in the Program Files folder then pretty much every other vendor is going to have to deal with the same thing. This is one of those things I'd rather sit on and see what happens in the RTM since I would think that it would be fixed. Perhaps you could report it as a bug if you are beta testing for them?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Jared Phelps
Although it seems to be fairly crappy behavior on windows vista's part, I don't think installing into my documents would be a solution...Since many corporate environments redirect the my documents folder to a remote server somewhere, running .NET code from it would be an even bigger headache.

I've gotta think that MS is going to come up with something workable here...Clearly this 'read-only program files' is going to break a lot of stuff (namely, everything.)

-Jared
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.