Posted 18 years ago by Jeff Hutt - Blade Games World
It would be incredibly useful if you could make intelliprompt work when using the override keyword.

In Visual Studio when you press the space after typing "override" it displays a list of valid methods that are valid for being overriden. Then you can simply select one of them and it will fill in a stub method.

Supporting this feature makes external libraries much more discoverable so it would be great if you could make this work.

thanks
Christian

Comments (4)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Good request... we'll add it to the TODO list.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Jeff Hutt - Blade Games World
Hello,

I really really need to be able to show a drop-down list when the user types the keyword "override". I know this functionality has been on the TODO list for about 18 months so it must be hard :)

Can you suggest a way for me to hack this in (no matter how dirty the hack is)?

I tried overriding the OnSyntaxEditorKeyTyped then trying to check the context to see if the user had typed the word "override", but there is no information. Probably I'm just doing something stupid.

Many thanks and it's really great to have support for generics now btw.

Christian
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Christian,

Sorry, it may not necessarily be that it's hard (maybe it is though :) ), but rather that we have an enormous list of TODO requests. We have to prioritize and more recently been focusing on trying to add more IntelliPrompt for some of the newer C#/VB features. For instance, we are working on improving IntelliPrompt for generic type/methods, delegates, and are starting to get into some Lambda expressions.

The context won't tell you if override was typed, you'd have to do token scanning to know that. Then perhaps determine which TypeDeclaration you are in, via the AST. Resolve the type and get its full type hierarchy. From that get all the members of the type and all its base types and look for those that allow overriding. That is probably the general implementation we would do.

If this is something you would like us to bump up to near-top development priority, we can be contracted to implement the feature. Feel free to email us if this is something you'd like to pursue. Otherwise, we will try and get to it but we do have a number of other higher priority items first.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Jeff Hutt - Blade Games World
Hmmm, okay,

Well that does indeed sound like the right way to do it.

Last night I wrote a hack and it kinda works for now. If the user presses Ctrl-Space I simply scan backwards and check for <whitespace>override. Then reflect on the base type and add the appropriate members to the drop down.

Yes it's totally lame but it's a sticking plaster.

Normally I'd say sure, no problem, we'll contract you to do the work. Unfortunately cash is rather in short supply at the moment. We've been 3.5 years self funded working on our product and haven't shipped it yet! Almost there though :)

Support for anonymous methods/delegates will be very good indeed.

thanks!
-chris
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.