Basic IntelliPrompt support for Python

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Christopher Stoy - Software Engineer, Red Storm Entertainment
Hello all,

I've just started working with SyntaxEditor and really want to get the IntelliPrompt feature working. I have a IronPython embedded in my C# app to provide a scripting service and want to use SyntaxEditor to allow users the ability to edit these scripts. I expose various functions from my C# code into IronPython and would like to provide IntelliPrompt support for it.

My problem is I can't seem to find any examples on how to do this. The C# examples seem to use the Addons.CSharp.CSharpSyntaxLanguage , but that doesn't help me since I'm using Python. I would like to have something like this:

In Python, I would:

import sys

And when I type:
sys.

I want to see what is available in the sys module.

I know this may seem like a basic question, but I haven't had much luck finding how to do this in the lastest ScriptEditor release (4.0).

Any hints/pointers would be appreciated.

Chris.

Chris Stoy Software Engineer Red Storm Entertainment chris.stoy@redstorm.com

Comments (1)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Chris,

We've gotten this sort of question a lot. :) Let me start off by saying that it is not easy at all to provide proper IntelliPrompt functionality for a full blown language.

In fact, in our C# implementation in the .NET Languages Add-on, I believe there are 40,000+ lines of code needed to achieve it.

Right now we're working on a VB.NET implementation for the add-on as well and that is taking us a while (especially since we're also doing other dev and support).

This page does a good job of explaining how we go about implementing these sort of features for C#:
http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/DotNet/SyntaxEditor/Addons/DotNet/ImplementationDetails.aspx

The "Simple" language sample in the sample project goes about showing a very basic implementation of these sort of features for a language. That is a good starting point. But for a full-blown language like C#, the grammar is many many times bigger and there's a lot of code needed for proper context resolution.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.