AutoHide toolwindow mouse threshold

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Brian O'Neil
Version: 2.0.75
Is there any way to control the amount of time that the mouse is over the tab before an autohide toolwindow expands?

I need a way to delay the flyout toolwindow until the mouse has been over the tab for say... 500 ms or something like that so that if the user is just moving the mouse around the windows are not just poping out all over the place. Once they stop over one for some amount of time then I want it to expand. I would like to apply this behavior to all autohide toolwindows in the application.

Also, is there way to have the autohide toolwindows ONLY expand when the tab is clicked by the user?

thanks,

-Brian

Comments (7)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
There currently isn't a way to control the hover delay. It's triggered on the MouseHover event of the control which should be using the system hover time.

There is a DockManager.AutoHideShowOnMouseHover property that will turn hover selecting off.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Brian O'Neil
I the property you mention DockManager.AutoHideShowOnMouseHover would do the trick for me, but I don't see that property on DockManager?

I am using the 2.0.0075 release, is this property new in the 2.0.0076 release?
Yes it was added in build 76.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Marianne
This property doesn't seem to affect the auto-hidden toolwindow if the mouse is in the middle of a drag operation. Can you update this property so that the toolwindow will not auto-display during normal or dragged hover?

------------------------------- Marianne

Hi Marianne,

Could you go into a little more detail on what you mean by "normal or dragged hover"? Also shouldn't it expand for drag operations in case the drop target is on the tool window?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Marianne
I just mean that the property works to disable a "normal" hover but if you hover over the toolwindow while dragging it will always expand regardless of the property setting. I understand the point where the drop target may be inside the toolwindow. For my users, though, there is a lot of dragging going on into the main document windows and users are frustrated because they are constantly dropping items into a suddenly expanded toolwindow instead of the document window as intended.

The short term answer would be to set a consistent behavior with the property whether dragging or not. The long term answer would be to add a property that will control how long the hover lasts before a window is expanded. If this were available users could set the number high enough so that dragging over a toolwindow en route to the document window wouldn't cause an expansion but if they intended the toolwindow as the drop target they could hover on it for a second before it opened.

------------------------------- Marianne

This is now fixed for the next maintenance release:
Changed auto-hidden tool windows so that when a drag operation occurs over a tab, it does not slide open if the DockManager.AutoHideShowOnMouseHover is set to false.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.