Posted 12 years ago by marty wasznicky - President/CTO, Peregrine Connect
Version: 12.1.0300

We're trying use System.Data.Linq.dll in the C# Syntax editor.  Here's a sample of the code:

System.Collections.IEnumerable upperLowerWords = from w in words select w.ToUpper();

When exactly will this be supported? We're getting this a fairly recurring request.

Kind regards,

Marty

Comments (12)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Marty,

We actually have the LINQ IntelliPrompt on 'w' working for C# here but it's still in development due to some timing issues we need to resolve.  Since our LINQ resolver is currently tied to the AST, if the AST is out of date (like in large documents) the IntelliPrompt results don't work as well.  We need to try and improve that yet.

We also need to implement the LINQ resolver functionality for VB yet, which we haven't started yet.

I don't have a date at this time.  The highest priority at the moment is getting 2012.1 done and out (getting close), and LINQ support may be something we work on more as a maintenance release feature for that.

Actipro Software Support

We're plan on shipping our 3.0 product the first week of July.  Will we have this feature by then?

Hi Marty,

I apologize... I was thinking this was the WPF add-on's forum.  The information in my previous reply applies to the WPF/Silverlight SyntaxEditor add-ons, not to WinForms.  Once the WPF SyntaxEditor's feature set covers everything major currently found in WinForms, we hope to back port the newer object model to WinForms.  But that is still a ways off yet, and would not be by July.

Actipro Software Support

ok..I need some time frame though.  Seems like folks have been asking for this for a couple of years. Will we have it by 3rd quarter this year?

While the WinForms .NET Languages Add-on does handle a lot of automated IntelliPrompt properly, its design doesn't accommodate some of the more complex resolution scenarios like with lambdas, overload resolution, etc.  That's why when we wrote the add-on for WPF/Silverlight, we started from scratch and based on everything we learned from working on the WinForms add-on, built a much more robust internal design that scales well and follows the official language specs as closely as possible.  Thus we have already achieved lambda and overload resolution functionality there, and have internally gotten C# LINQ working per above.  But it unfortunately won't be coming to WinForms until we can backport the entire new object model of SyntaxEditor, since it's highly dependent on new object model features added to the WPF/Silverlight design.

Actipro Software Support

I completely understand. However, I still need some kind of ETA

Hi Marty, I wish I could give you one but I really don't know and can't commit us to anything as there are a lot of things to get done to get to that point.  Sorry!

Actipro Software Support

Hi Marty,

I just wanted to let you know that we expect LINQ automated IntelliPrompt features to be added in the next maintenance release per this blog post.

UPDATE: It has been added to the WPF/Silverlight versions but not yet to the WinForms version.

[Modified 12 years ago]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH

Ehm, wait a second. The blog post refers to WPF/Silverlight, but this is the WinForms forum. I would love to see the feature in next maintenance release, but I really doubt it. Or do you really mean that the feauture lands in the WinForms release?

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Oh sorry, we keep a list of posts for a certain feature request and didn't notice this one was for WinForms.  You are correct, it has been added to the WPF/Silverlight versions only at this time.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Alexnaldo Santos

This a very critical request but Actipro ignore. I'm requesting it for the last 3 years with the same Actipro response.

For me is clear, SyntaxEditor for WinForms is dead.

Hi Alexnaldo,

We did implement LINQ IntelliPrompt in the newer object models found in the WPF and Silverlight versions of SyntaxEditor.

The newer .NET Languages Add-on design in those platforms relies on some core features found in the WPF/Silverlight SyntaxEditor control that aren't in WinForms.  As explained in other posts, we would love to have all three platforms on the same general object model so there aren't major capability differences.  However for us to backport the newer object model to WinForms, we first need to have all the feature areas covered in WPF/Silverlight that are already in WinForms.  We are continuing and will continue to reduce that list in each WPF/Silverlight version we release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.