Disable ScreenTipService HitTest?

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Chris Bunker
Version: 11.1.0551

My application uses the Ribbon and Docking/MDI WPF libraries.  In one window of my application, I have several complicated graphics.  When I move the contents of the window around (panning), I notice the performance is not very good.  Using the Visual Studio 2010 Profiler, I found that quite a bit of time is being spent in the ScreenTipService.  It's apparent that the ScreenTipService is performing hit-testing while I'm panning inside the window.  The signature of the function from the profiler output is here:

ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.Ribbon.UI.ScreenTipService.#Rwb(class System.Windows.Input.MouseEventArgs)

This function, which I have to guess is a MouseMove event handler, calls:

System.Windows.Media.VisualTreeHelper.HitTest(class System.Windows.Media.Visual,valuetype System.Windows.Point,bool)

However, this particular window is not using the ScreenTipService for anything.  It would be nice to disable the ScreenTipService altogether for windows that don't use it.   I attempted to set the ScreenTipService.ScreenTipIsEnabled to false on the window, but it didn't help.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (5)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Chris,

Sorry but there currently isn't a way to disable screen tips for a certain window.  I'm not sure how we could expose such an option either since the MouseEventArgs we end up looking at Mouse.PrimaryDevice.DirectlyOver, and never looks up for a containing Window.  The only thing we could do would be to have a global disable option.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for the reply.  I think a global disable option would work.  I could just disable screen tips when I'm about to pan the display, and reenable them when I'm done.

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Chris,

We'll add a new static ScreenTipService.IsEnabled property in the next maintenance release that you'll be able to toggle to false to disable all handling of mouse move events by the service.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you!  Do you have an estimate about when the next maintenance release will be?

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

It should be within the June timeframe sometime.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.