AutomationProperty.Name of children inside ApplicationMenu not being read by screen reader

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Austin Spears
Version: 11.2.0553
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am attempting to make our application compliant with accessibility and am having trouble with children inside of your ApplicationMenu control.  I have tried both the windows narrator and the open source screen reader NVDA, but neither will recognize the AutomationProperty.Name of controls hosted inside of an ApplicationMenu.  The interesting thing is that the Menu inside of a SplitButton inside of the ApplicationMenu does properly get read by screen readers.  I have used UISpy, AccChecker, and UIVerify to investigate, but tools like UISpy can't look at the controls inside of the ApplicationMenu.

Basically in code this is the problem:

xmlns:ribbon="http://schemas.actiprosoftware.com/winfx/xaml/ribbon"
<ribbon:ApplicationMenu ...>
	<ribbon:SplitButton AutomationProperties.Name="Close" ...> // this name does not get read by the screen reader
		<ribbon:Menu AutomationProperties.Name="Close Menu" ...> // this name is read by the screen reader                                                                                                                       

[Modified 12 years ago]

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Austin,

Thanks for reporting this.  It appears that ApplicationMenu's automation peer wasn't including its items properly.  We'll update this for the next version.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Austin Spears

Sounds good, thanks.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.