Painful editing of the Backstage

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Kasper
Version: 12.1.0562
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

Am I the only one who finds working with the Backstage a huge pain? I'm not sure if this is a bug or if the VS designer/XAML editor just really dislikes the way the Backstage has been implemented, but it's almost unbearable. Here's a list of problems I experience:

1. I can't pick any element from one of the Backstage tabs. I can pick the tab it self and then scroll down until I find the element in the XAML editor, but picking anything beyond the tab level in the designer is impossible.
  2. Pretty much as soon as I start making a change in the XAML code, the Backstage is closed/made invisible, so I can't see what I'm doing without manually opening the Backstage tab each time or simply running my application.
  3. Whenever I edit elements on a Backstage tab, the code editor slows waaaay down, to the point where I will literally have to wait ~1 second for each keystroke to appear on the screen and several seconds if the IntelliSense list is about to be shown. This one seems a bit periodic though - sometimes it works pretty well and other times it's almost impossible to type in the markup.
  4. Sometimes the IntelliSense simply stops working, whenever I'm editing stuff on the Backstage. I don't know if this is related to the Backstage or not, but I have seen it happen in this situation a couple of times now. When it stops working, I get NO help typing in the XAML and I will have to restart VS to make it work again. 
  5. Almost forgot this one: A lot of times when doing anything in the Backstage area, like modifying a property or adding an element, the XAML editor simply scrolls all the way to the top of my XAML file, so I have to navigate back to the place where I was doing the actual editing.

This was just off the top of my head, there might be more. The first two problems are easily reproduced in the demo app. 3 and 4 are periodic. 3 doesn't seem to happen in the demo app, but perhaps that's because there is way less markup there? My MainWindow.xaml has just hit 2.500 lines, and since this is my first WPF app, I don't know if that's a lot.

Is anyone else seeing these issues?

[Modified 12 years ago]

Comments (1)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Kasper,

Thanks for the post, we'll look into them soon to see if we can improve things in any way.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.