Way to disable/remove the "Add or Remove Buttons" item?

Bars for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Kevin McCormick
Version: 12.1.0303

We are trying to replicate the toolbar overflow functionality seen in Visual Studio 2008 when a tool window causes the toolbar to overflow.  (Example: the Output window).

In Visual Studio this causes an options button to appear to show the overflowed items in a drop-down menu.  In a UI Studio application, this does the same thing, but also shows "Add or Remove Buttons", no matter what properties I have tried setting on the BarManager or its related objects. 

We do not wish the Add or Remove Buttons options to appear, but we do wish for the overflow items to appear in the drop-down.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Comments (6)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry but it doesn't appear like there are any options to prevent the Add or Remove Buttons option from showing on those overflow popups.

Actipro Software Support

Hello, thanks for the follow-up I appreciate it.  Can this be considered in a future release as a feature request?

Hi Kevin,

We can log your feature request.  Although it is pretty standard behavior to see the Add or Remove Buttons item.  It is present in VS 2010 and VS 2012.  I don't have VS 2008 installed at the moment to check it there.

Actipro Software Support

Hi, thanks for the update.  Please note that for non-customizable toolbars in tool windows, such as the ones permanently docked to the top of toolwindows, the Add or Remove option is not available in Visual Studio 2010.  I have provided a screenshot from SQL Server Management Studio (based on VS2010):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/dropdownmenu.png/

Oh are you referring to the standalone ToolBar?  I don't see that it shows the Add or Remove Buttons item now, which is why I thought you meant the dockable toolbars.  It would help if you could repro what you mean in a very simple new sample project (as minimal as possible) so that we can have a look.  Please email it to our support address and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Reference this post in your email.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

I have sent an email as requested with a sample project that exhibits the current behavior.

We have created fixed DockableToolbars that cannot be dragged or closed. The goal is to mimic the standalone toolbars in Visual Studio that reside in the various tool windows (Watch, Breakpoints, Solution Explorer, etc.)

The desired behavior is that when the window is resized:

1) An options button will allow the user to select the overflowed items in a drop-down menu.

2) The “Add or Remove Buttons” option is NOT available

Thank you as always for your assistance!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.