Cannot move application window since 2012.2.571 build

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Austin Spears
Version: 12.2.0571
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey guys,

Since we upgraded to the 2012.2.571 build we are having some big problems.  One of which is that our main window (RibbonWindow) for the application is immovable.  It can be resized, but if you try to click at the top and drag it somewhere you cannot.  Doubling clicking to maximize or minimize does not work either.

The other is the introduction of some very strange graphical glitches.  When attempting to resize the main window there exists a visual lag that results in some black "tearing" on the edge of the app where you are dragging.

Any feedback on these issues will be greatly appreciated since the immovable window is obviously very bad news.  In the meantime I am investigating myself and will update this thread if I find a solution.

[Modified 11 years ago]

Comments (7)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Austin,

We have updated things to help with some black area rendering in the newer RibbonWindow implementation and we have a preview build of these changes for the upcoming maintenance release we could give you to see if it fixes that.

It may also fix the other issue.  If you write our support address and reference this post, we'll give you the link to it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Andras Eles

Hey guys,

We have upgraded to version 2012.2.572 recently in order to get a solution to one of our outstanding issues. Afterwards we noticed that we are having the same symptoms as the title of this bug report.

I also noticed that the official sample application demonstrating a Ribbon Window with Docking functionality does not suffer from this problem.

Now I am wondering what the official status of this bug is?

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Andras,

Part of the updates to RibbonWindow include using a more Windows native hit testing.  Since RibbonWindow can render WPF UI elements in the title bar area (like the QAT and contextual tab groups), it also means that the UIElements containing the Ribbon within your code also extend up there (although they usually have null or Transparent backgrounds).  I mean things like a DockPanel or Grid that might be the child element of your Window and contains Ribbon.

We do our best to skip over Panels and things with null backgrounds but there could be cases where our logic finds an element you've defined in your XAML and we stop at it when hit testing the title bar area.  The way to fix this is to examine all the elements in your XAML that contain Ribbon.  Start at Ribbon and walk up the chain.  See if you have any Panels or other controls with Backgrounds set.  If you find something, try and clear its background.

You also can set this attached property on any elements that you think could be causing the hit testing issue (again it should be an ancestor of Ribbon up to Window):

themes:WindowChrome.ElementKind="NonClientArea"

That tells the element to be skipped over by our hit testing code.

If none of those things help, please repro it in as simple of a new sample project as you can and we'll debug.  But one of those things should help you solve the problem.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Andras Eles

Thanks,

We have had modified the styles of the Ribbon in our application long ago. During the upgrade to version 2012.2.572 we didn't touch those styles and therefore themes:WindowChrome.ElementKind attached property was not used at all. We compared the new Ribbon styles to our customised ones focusing on this attached property and introduced them wherever it was needed. 

This fixed the problem for us.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Posted 11 years ago by Austin Spears

Added that attribute:

themes:WindowChrome.ElementKind="NonClientArea"

to the two grids and adorner decorators that were encapsulating our ribbon and it did the trick.  I know this response was a long time coming, but I just got a chance to re-evaluate this issue.  Thanks again for the responses.

Posted 10 years ago by Philipp Schmid

I have recently upgraded our ribbon-based WPF application from build v10.2.0532 to build 13.2.590.0 and am observing the same behavior: I cannot move the application window anymore. I futher notice a couple of data binding issues in that area:

System.Windows.Data Error: 4 : Cannot find source for binding with reference 'ElementName=PART_Popup'. BindingExpression:Path=HasDropShadow; DataItem=null; target element is 'PopupButton' (Name=''); target property is 'NoTarget' (type 'Object')

System.Windows.Data Error: 4 : Cannot find source for binding with reference 'ElementName=PART_Popup'. BindingExpression:Path=HasDropShadow; DataItem=null; target element is 'QuickAccessToolBarOverflowButton' (Name='OverflowButton'); target property is 'NoTarget' (type 'Object')

I have been doing a side-by-side comparison with the code in ProductSamples\RibbonSamples\Demo\DocumentEditor but so far have not spotted any non-trivial difference (e.g., different name string or icon paths). I have inserted the "NonClientArea" attribute as suggested above but still no improvement.

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Philipp,

There must be some element you are missing that attribute on that is blocking the default title bar element from being hit tested.  If you want to put together a new simple sample project that shows this happening and send that to our support address, we can debug it and tell you what's causing it and what to do to fix it (it's likely an easy fix).  Please rename the .zip file extension and reference this post.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.