Search Highlighting on Dark Theme

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Clint Brown - VP Development, eSSETS, Inc.

I really enjoy using the dark theme on CodeWriter. I find it pleasing to the eyes, and I like that I don't have to squint because of the display being so bright.

However, I'm finding that using search is a problem because there is so little contrast between the highlighted search text and the background color. I thought that increasing the font size might help, but I'm still having a lot of trouble seeing where the found text is on the page.

I looked at the Light Theme, and it does a nice job of providing contrast. Need something similar on the Dark Theme - maybe use white as the background color of the found text?

Comments (6)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the suggestion, I agree with you that it's a tad tricky to see right now.  The reason is that it's using the selection to show the result.  What if we updated it so that if you do a find, it would use some other background highlight to show the result.  Then if you moved the caret in the editor or make an edit, it would remove that special highlight.  That would at least grab your attention better.  Thoughts?

Actipro Software Support

I think that would work much better than what's happening now.

In the interim I have found looking at the line number in the status bar points me to the right row, so I do have a workaround for now. I'm mentioning in case someone else is having the same problem until it's changed.

Thanks for your good work. I'm thrilled by the responsiveness of this forum. Many of your competitors just let stuff languish without a response.

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the praise... we always try to reply to customers within a business day, especially since we offer a large variety of commercial user interface controls and we do our best to maintain a high level of customer support for them.

Although Code Writer is free, we value customer input and this forum is a great place to throw around ideas back and forth.  A lot of times customers think of things we maybe never would.  We certainly do listen and encourage anyone with Code Writer suggestions to post here.  Sometimes users post only in the reviews and then we have no way to ask followup questions or talk things through further.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Clint,

Just FYI, the next version (v1.4) has an update where we always show the current line highlight (if it's enabled), even when the editor loses focus.  So that helps with the spotting the find matches since the current line highlight zeros in on where the selection is.

Actipro Software Support

Just wanted to let you know that always showing the current line highlight is working very well. Thank you for listening and responding!

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Clint,

The next version is going to include a search match highlighting feature where all instances of found text will be highlighted in the document.  That should help with locating matched text as well.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.