Posted 11 years ago by Jacob Bearce

Just disovered that you guys added Open With support! Awesome!

Just two quick suggestions for this:

1. Please make some nice Metro icons for the fiel types. The current icons are...okay. But they feel very Windows 95-ish. My suggestion is to use the same red as the App's tile for the icon backgrounds and white icons. I woudln't be surprised if you're planning this already but just rushed out the Open With stuff. Take a look at how Microsoft's PDF reader handles this to see a good example of metro file icons.
  2. When you open the app for the first time, you should be presented with a series of checkboxes to set Code Writer as the default file editor for everything, similar to how Dreamweaver works. 

This app just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for more updates :)

Comments (3)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jacob,

We're glad you like the new file associations.

1) We had the icons available that we ended up using and in most cases, I think they look better than most normal default icons for those file types.  I don't think that the PDF icon where it's a document with the app icon overlay is all that great for code files though.  While that would be easy for us to do, I would prefer to see distinct icons for my various file types so that things like C# files stand out from JavaScript ones.  If you have any ideas on a "look" for the icons that would look at 16x16 size all the way up to 256x256, suggestions are welcome.  But at the moment, we're not thinking of anything that's better than what we have now.

2) Unfortunately I don't believe WinRT allows us to do that.  You need to do all those kinds of settings from the Set Default Programs window in the desktop.  Or via the Open With context menu item in the desktop.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Jacob Bearce

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I didn't mean to just use your app icon for everything, I meant keep the same icons as you have but make them Metro-themed. So for PHP, you'd have a red document with a white PHP logo on it, etc.

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Good news... we did some more brainstorming and were able to come up with a full set of Metro-themed icons that use the app's file type colors for each file type.  These will be in v1.4, after the new year.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.