Add a single tap open in browser option for html

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Paul McDowell

Most of my work done remotely is web work which has a relatively low footprint. The Surface allows me to work on the go, but it would be nice to have a single click button to preview my work in IE so i can see my changes and then quickly swipe the browser closed again. When im looking for the feature it feels like it should be on the bottom flyout toward the left by advanced. Any location is fine honestly, I'm just tired of digging for the file I want to preview every time I test during a sprint.

Comments (4)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Paul,

We are currently collecting ideas for previewing output.  I'll write down your suggestion.  Do you use a keyboard or just the on-screen keyboard?

We'd probably lean more towards a right side preview since that doesn't move the main text content (which aligns left).

Also, if you could give us more info about what kind of files you edit, that would be helpful.  Such as do you have linked CSS/JS files or are these just small HTML file snippets?

Actipro Software Support

1. I normally only use the on-screen keyboard (the split board for thumbs is pretty effective) but I do sometimes use the touch cover.

2. I edit html, css, and js files regularly with some xml. I use linked css and js files, using your program for full page development and prototyping when I'm traveling. I'll normally move things over to my desktop for more dynamic content development, but it is nice to be able to build up a working demo quickly or to puzzle out a few spikes using the full site code when I'm out of the office.

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

One probable issue with the linked files is that I'm not sure the references would work in a web browser preview since the file we'll be previewing will likely just be a string we'd send to the web browser (whatever is currently in the editor).  Thus the browser wouldn't have any concept of the original path.  We can't save a temp file in the original file's folder either because WinRT won't give us access to that unless the end user (you) picks the temp file via a picker dialog.  And that doesn't provide for a good user experience.

So I'm wondering how we could best handle cases where the HTML to preview has references to external files that the browser can't resolve to.  Any ideas you have are welcome.

Actipro Software Support

That shouldnt be an issue. The browser doesnt have any issues with resolving the relative paths so long as the main html file loads up.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.