Crash opening files from mounted Dokan SSHFS drive

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Aaron
Version: 1.4.5

I'm using Dokan SSHFS to mount my Linux server as a drive on my Windows 8 laptop.

Other programs, (eg. SkyDrive Win8 Store App or native Win8 desktop apps), can access this mounted drive and open and change files on it.

Code Writer lets me browse the drive with no problems, but closes immediately when I attempt to open any file. I have Code Writer set as the default app for my files, and opening the file from Windows Explorer on the desktop also causes Code Writer to crash.

Steps to reproduce:

Install the Dokan 0.6.0 library and then install win-sshfs 0.0.1.5 as detailed on http://linhost.info/2012/09/sshfs-in-windows/

(Note that upon first running the Dokan installer, it will say that the operating system is not supported and exit. Windows then asks if you want to install in compatibility mode, and the installer then works.)

Comments (4)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Aaron,

I'm looking at our exception logs.  Are you from Spain?  I see an exception logged by a user for when trying to open a file, and I'm wondering if that is from you.  The error message is:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

Is that what you see too when you try this?  Which device are you using (manufacturer and type)?

Actipro Software Support

Hi there, yes I live in Spain.

That particular error message was one I received yesterday when attempting to make the Filezilla FTP client open files with Code Writer (it was defaulting to using notepad, even though .css files are associated with Code Writer in Windows) by experimenting with various command lines (such as "c:\windows\explorer.exe .css:" in order to use protocol activation) but nothing was working.

This issue doesn't show an error - the application just closes. Does it store logs on my local machine?

My device is a Sony Vaio Duo 11 (i5 3317U / 8GB RAM) with Windows 8 x64 standard.

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Aaron,

We don't currently store error logs on the local machine.  That's not a bad idea for the future though.

We were able to create a repro of this issue by duplicating your setup.  It turns out that the code blowing up is where we call some of Microsoft's API to add the file to the most recently used file list.  It seems Microsoft's API throws an error since this is a customized file system being added to it and probably isn't compatible with MRU tracking.  Unfortunately that is out of our hands and we can't do anything to fix it since it's in the core Microsoft API.  But what we will do is handle the error so no crash occurs.  The only negative side effect you'll see is that your file won't show up in the recent documents list.  This update will be in v1.5.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you very much for such a fast response and resolution to this problem - I look forward to the new build appearing on the Windows Store soon!

Aaron

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.