Setting custom file associations

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by The Dolphin

I am having an issue where I cannot set a file extension that I custom-specified in Code Writer to have Code Writer as the default program. I set the extension .ini to be a Code Writer file extension under the Text category but in the Windows Set File Associations panel I cannot change .ini to open with Code Writer. The app does not show up in the list of applicable programs. However, with .java files, Code Writer is an option probably since .java files are natively supported by Code Writer. My suggestion is that any custom file extension added in Code Writer should make the app available in the Windows Set File Associations panel along with the natively-supported file types.

Comments (9)

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello, thank you for the suggestion.  While I wish we could programmatically allow file associations to be altered, Microsoft made Windows 8 apps so that you have to declare which file types you support up-front at app compile time.  Thus nothing can dynamically be changed once the app has been deployed to the user, in terms of available file associations.  Unfortunately we aren't able to implement this suggestion due to that limitation by Microsoft.

Actipro Software Support

That's unfortunate, but understandable. In that case, could you be so kind as to implement .ini file support? I think they are pretty similar to text files (and Code Writer can open them currently).

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Sure, we'll add it to the suggestion list.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you very much.

Posted 11 years ago by Ben Nizette

Not knowing anything about Win 8 apps, is it possible to register for the null extension at least and try and autodetect the syntax highlighting to use?  That would at least catch Makefile, KConfig, SConstruct etc etc

Hi Ben,

Sorry but Microsoft requires that for system file associations, they are registered specifically at compile time (on our end).

You can however set up custom file extensions within the app (via the Settings charm) when you run it.  That will at least allow you to open them from the app's Browse dialog.  But it won't help when trying to double-click a file from the desktop.

[Modified 11 years ago]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Ben Nizette

No worries, thought as much.

The custom extension thing still doesn't help for files without extension (like the examples above), but I guess there isn't much that can be done about that.

Cheers.

Hi Ben,

I did a quick test by adding a "." file extension to the Microsoft file open picker but it still didn't see any files without an extension.  So even if we allowed a null extension to be added in our Settings UI, it looks like it wouldn't do any good.

Actipro Software Support

Hello, we'll be adding INI files to the next version (v1.5).

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.