Unable to select EOL character format

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Tom Boland
Version: 1.6.7

File type: .py - Python. Probably happens on all file types, haven't had the need to test that premise.

Codepage: Automatic Detection (UTF 8 fallback) default.

Description: When saving .py file to a Linux samba share for execution on Linux (CentOS 6), the shebang line (#!/usr/bin/python) generates the following error on execution:

/usr/bin/python^M: bad interpreter

The ^M is the problem. The is a classic issue with Windows apps (like Code Writer) writing out the Windows EOL sequence instead of the Unix/Linux EOL sequence.

Requested Fix: Have EOL sequence selectable by file type in Win-C|Settings|File Type|<filetype>|Advanced. Certainly default it to Windows, but let us be able to choose.

Workaround: Not a Good One - run dos2unix <filename> on the linux box after every edit and before execution. Nasty, but it works. It also clearly identifies the problem.

[Modified 11 years ago]

Comments (5)

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tom,

We actually have already added the ability to select the line end kind for the upcoming version 1.7 (not released yet at the time of this posting).  That should help with this.

Actipro Software Support

Yeay! Thanks. As long as I know it's coming I can live with it in the short term.

Just got the update and saw the change. Please convey my thanks and appreciation to the coders involved. It's a little thing, but it makes a big difference for those of us who work in multiple development environments.

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Thanks Tom... We're very happy to hear this will help you and others.  Please help us by providing a good review of the app.

Actipro Software Support

Done.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.