Scroll performance issue

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Roger
Version: 11.2.0556
Platform: .NET 3.5
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have scroll performance issue in SyntaxEditor.

When scroll page-down the editor with the code of 10,000 line, performance is worsened.

If that was page down to the bottom from the top, it takes more than 30 seconds in my environment.

Looking at the code, a lot of time seems to be taking in ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.TextFormatting.TextViewLineLayoutGroupCache.GetLayoutGroup().

Is there a way to solve these problems or build release that these have been resolved?

Also, I want to upload a snapshot image of dotTrace, but how can I do?

Comments (3)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Roger,

That's odd, we don't see the same thing in the WPF version.  In fact the WPF version was built for speed in large documents.  When we PgDn scroll in a very large 10,000 line document, it is flipping by very fast and only takes a few (maybe about 5) seconds to reach the end.  See if you can duplicate this issue in our SDI Editor demo. 

If not, then please make a new simple sample project that shows the issue and send it to our support address. Reference this post and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Perhaps you are doing something in your setup that causes it to take extra time.

Sorry but we don't support images in the forums.  You can link to an image that you've posted elsewhere though.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Roger

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, as you say, it seems our problems apparently.

We added new ClassificationTags of two different colors.

Thereby, loop processing in the ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.Implementation.RenderingCache.CreateSequencedRuns is has increased, It seems to influence to the deterioration of performance.

So we have a question.

Without coloring process while the scrolling, we want to do the coloring process after the scrolling is complete.

Is there a way to achieve these goals?

Also, is there a way to improve the performance another way?

[Modified 11 years ago]

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Roger,

It would probably help us answer your question better if you make a new simple sample project that shows the issue and what you are currently doing.  Also describe more about what you are trying to color and if it's something where you know the ranges that will be colored ahead of time or if you have to do it on the fly.  Send your sample to our support address and reference this post.  Rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 21 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.