Unable to open files, displays Start menu

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by CjL
Version: 2.0.11

Installed some days ago, was then able to open files using browse function. But today, ctrl-o or browse just displays start menu with no access to folders. This makes app somewhat useless...

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

I'm sorry you are having trouble.  It sounds like something is crashing there while displaying the Windows open file dialog.  The only thing we do there is tell the dialog which file extensions to support and then show the dialog.

Based on that, I think what's happening is that at some point you might have entered an invalid custom file extension in the File Types area in the app Settings.  I found a spot where our validation there allowed an invalid custom file extension to be entered by users.  We've fixed that bug for the next version.

But once that situation occurred, an invalid custom file extension would cause a crash in the file open/save dialogs, which is what I think you are running into.  We have added code for the next version to handle that scenario and not crash the app.

We also will be adding a "codewriter://reset-settings" URL for the next version that reverts any custom settings back to defaults.

In the meantime, I would suggest you revisit the File Types area in settings and look for invalid custom file type extensions that you may have specified.  If you remove those, then you should be up and running again.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by CjL

You are correct - I was trying to get an xx.html.erb file to recognise that it was both html and ruby and entered a custom .htm.erb filetype under html files. When I removed that it can correctly browse filesystem again.

Thanks for quick response! 

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.