Group Label trimmed

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Owen Christensen - Software Engineer, Minitab Inc.
Version: 13.2.0590
Platform: .NET 4.5
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a group in a non-contextual tab with a single button in it; however the button + button label are not wide enough to cover the whole width of the group label and the group label is displaying with an ellipsis.  Is there a way to force it to render the full group name?

Comments (3)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Owen,

Can you post a simple XAML snippet we can put in a sample to see it happening?  When I tried one it worked ok and the group label was fully visible.

<ribbon:Ribbon>
	<ribbon:Tab Label="Home">
		<ribbon:Group Label="A really long group">
			<ribbon:Button Label="Button" />
		</ribbon:Group>
	</ribbon:Tab>
</ribbon:Ribbon>

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Owen Christensen - Software Engineer, Minitab Inc.
<ribbon:Ribbon>
    <ribbon:Tab Label="Tab">
        <ribbon:Group Label="A Different Group" VariantSize="Large">
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 1" />
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 2" />
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 3" />
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 4" />
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 5" />
            <ribbon:Button Label="Item 6" />
        <ribbon:Group Label="Longer Group Label" VariantSize="Large">
            <ribbon:Button Label="Short" />
    </ribbon:Tab>
</ribbon:Ribbon>

If you resize the window this is placed in slowly dragging from the right to the left you'll see a state where the button clearly becomes the dictator of the group width instead of the group label.  I'm not certain if this is undesireable.

We have 2 groups to the right of second group here.  I think it may be a quirk of our ribbon but we seem to start in the state where the group label is trimmed despite there being ample space available beyond the 4th group for that trimmed group to grow.  It's on a (non-contextual) tab that is not selected on startup.  I can attempt to provide an exact replica of the behavior we're seeing in a support ticket as I can't seem to make this small sample start in that state.

[Modified 10 years ago]

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the snippet.  One of the first steps of our ribbon variant resizing behavior includes collapsing long group labels to fit the group content.  So when there is not enough room to display everything, it will make the second group resize down to the Short button's size.  That is intentional and I believe is also in the Microsoft ribbon specification.  At least with this sample, I'm not seeing any undesirable behavior.  Note that in your app, if you have an in-ribbon gallery, that might affect things.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.