Strategies for the better performance on slow computers

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Ilia Korjoukov
Version: 13.2.0590

Hello!

I use Syntax Editor and .NET Languages AddOn for an application that is occasionally run on old and slow computers, such as laptops with Window XP. Users complain that in such configuration typing in Syntax Editor is unusable sluggish. It looks like there is a 1-5 sec delay between a pressed key and printed char, even when a text is made of a single line. In the same time they don’t have such problems on a modern computer.

I guess that the delay is related to language services that are run at the background of the editor, e.g. CSharpCompletionProvider. I tried to unregister this service (by user choice) with Document.Language.UnregisterService<> and gained some improvement in the typing speed. Are there other services that can be temporally shut down for sake of performance? Are there other strategies that can help?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (1)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ilia,

That sort of slowness shouldn't happen if things are configured properly, even on a slower computer.  My guess is that you didn't follow all the steps in the Getting Started topic of the .NET Languages Add-on documentation (either the C# or VB language version).  If you miss steps like turning on the ambient parse request dispatcher (which enables all parsing in a worker thread), then all parsing will be done in the main UI thread, causing the sort of performance slowdowns you see.  Please review that documentation topic and make sure you do those things.  I bet it will fix the problem.  Let us know the results.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.