Indeterminate checkbox

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway
Version: 13.2.0592

Hi,

I'm trying to use a checbox in the context of MenuItem, but the indeterminate state is not rendered. Is there a particular reason for this? It feels rather strange as a user to see it like that.

For a situation in our application, we need to be able to toggle a three-state checkbox between on and off, but display the indeterminate state. Would it be possible to introduce a Mode property to allow for this? If clicked when indeterminate, toggle to false. False to true. I have already implemented my own version of this, but it would help if we could get it out of the box.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Comments (5)

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi,

I don't believe tri-state menu items are typically done.  For instance, the WPF MenuItem doesn't support it.  The reason is that when a menu item is clicked, it closes the menu.  So users expect more of a toggle metaphor in that scenario, rather than a cycling between three options sort of metaphor.  I think that a tri-state menu item would be confusing for the user. 

Instead, I would recommend that you have a popup child menu with three options and put a checkbox next to the currently selected option.  That is more traditional UI.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

Thank you for the explaination. It makes sense as you say. I considered using tri-state in contextmenu because of the StaysOpenOnClick option. The scenario I intended it for is a limited shortcut to other options on another screen, where the tri-state makes more sense. I don't deem further details necessary, as I buy the reasoning you give, and the intended scenario was a proof of concept.

Any thoughts on the second part about ToggleMode?

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi,

ribbon:CheckBox already has an IsThreeState property that you can set to true here.  The problem is that when it's a menu item, it uses a standard menu item template that doesn't currently have a trigger for IsChecked == null.

We will update the template for the next version to render a square glyph if IsChecked == null;

Actipro Software Support

A new template for IsChecked == null would be great, but I was thinking more along the path of "allow the checkbox to display null, but don't allow the user to toggle into that mode". i.e user can only toggle between true/false, but the application can set to null, for example to indicate the state of children.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi,

I think you can get into that mode now.  If you have IsChecked=null but then set IsThreeState=false, I believe it won't let the user change to null.  With our updates for the next version it will render the square when IsChecked=null.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0684) was released 12 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.