Parsing code document with header and footer set

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Nick
Version: 13.2.0592

Hi,

I'm trying to parse some VB code using the following extension method, but it fails with errors regarding imports section:

public static IParseData Parse(this ISyntaxLanguage language, string header, string body, string footer)
{
  language.ThrowArgumentNullException("language");
  var parser = language.GetParser();
  if (parser == null)
  {
    returnnull;
  }
  var codeDocument = newCodeDocument { Language = language };
  codeDocument.SetHeaderAndFooterText(header, footer);
  codeDocument.SetText(body);
  var snapshot = codeDocument.CurrentSnapshot;
  var reader = snapshot.GetReader(0); // should this be: -snapshot.HeaderText.Length?
  var parseRequest = newParseRequest(Guid.NewGuid().ToString(), reader.BufferReader, language, codeDocument) { Snapshot = snapshot };
  return parser.Parse(parseRequest);
}

The header is:

Public Partial Class MyClass

The body:

Sub MySub
End Sub

And the footer

End Class

I think it is failing because it does not consider the header when parsing the code.  When the syntax editor returns the parse result for the same VB code, I note the snapshot start point is -27 and the EndPoint is larger than the snapshot I get from the code above.  Is there some way to create a new snapshot for document or to modify the current one to use the header and footer?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

[Modified 10 years ago]

Comments (3)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Nick,

A common mistake with header/footer and VB is that people don't remember that they need a line terminator at the end of the header and at the start of the footer.  The parser will look at the string returned by "header + body + footer" all concatinated without line terminators in between.  So it's up to you to add them to the header/footer.  Let us know if that helps.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Nick

Hi,

The source header and footer do both contain CR/LF (which I understand is normalised when set against the document).  My contrived example and the -27 value I mentioned aren't from the same code, it was just unfortunate that the class name I chose coincided with that value.

When I examine the reader, it appears that it will only cover the text (body) value.  If I try using the commented out code to pass a negative start point, it then doesn't seem to read enough of the data. I can't see any way to control the length/endpoint for the reader.

Regards,

Nick

Answer - Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Nick,

Sorry I should have mentioned this too... Try this line instead: 

var reader = snapshot.GetMergedBufferReader(); 

That method will make a reader that allows scanning over the header/footer as well. 

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.