How to chart collection of line segments or multipart polylines

Charts for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Erez Anzel
Version: 14.1.0600

I successfully chart a LineSeries and AreaSeries, providing data by binding to a ReadOnlyObservableCollection of Tuple<double, double>, meaning that I give a list of XY point pairs. And your code dutifully draws a line from the first point to the second, from the second to the third, etc.

But I'd like to be able to draw an unknown number of two-vertex line segments in one LineSeries or some such series. For instance, perhaps I could provide a collection of Tuple<double, double, double, double>, where each element contained the XY values of the "from" vertex and the XY values of the "to" vertex.

A more complex case, which I also need, is to draw a multipart polyline. By "polyline" I mean a line consisting of two or more vertices, where each vertex is a pair of XY values. By "multipart" I mean that it can be discontinuous: If the vertices in the collection are points A, B, C, ..., H, for instance, then I might want a line to be drawn from A to B, then another one from C to D to E to F, and another one from G to H. That means that there would be a gap from B to C, and from F to G. Obviously I would need to provide some indication of where these breaks should be, or provide this collection in the same manner as the collection of two-vertex line segments, which would mean duplicating almost every vertex.

Is this possible? If so, since which version of Charts? If not, what would you suggest as a workaround, and when might it be possible without a workaround?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Comments (3)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Erez,

Unfortunately we don't really have a mechanism for doing that sort of thing.  Your best bet, at least for the line segments, would be to possibly have each sequential set of segments be in a series.  Then after a gap, make a new series for the next sequential set, and so on.  Perhaps you could do something similar to achieve the polyline.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Samuel Keating

I don't posses much information about it but one of my friend also does a chart library work who can help you out. So you can contact him and get your work done.

[Modified 10 years ago]

Posted 10 years ago by Erez Anzel

Thanks, Samuel. I followed the link. I am still hoping that Actipro will implement what I need, as I want to have all of my charting handled with one product...Erez

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.