Cannot associate the *.bas file extenstion with CodeWriter

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Andrew Brown
Version: 2.3.14

I am running Windows RT 8.1.

I am working with *.bas files and have successfully added the *.bas extension to Code Writer > Settings > File Types > Visual Basic file extension.

CodeWrtiter has successfully associated all pre-defined file extension with itself so that when I am on the desktop, say, and I click on, for instance, a *.c file, Windows automatically opens it in CodeWriter. Unfortunately there seems no straightforward way of associating a costumer extension, for  instance *.bas, throught Windows.

I have tried:

*.bas file > Open With > Look for an app in the Store > CodeWriter / More options > Look for another app on this PC,

Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program > *.bas

hacking the registry: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.3.14.14_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0\App\Capabilities\FileAssociations], and

trying to find a way within CodeWriter itself.

As I said, none has works for me. Even when working through the enabled Adminstrstor Windows RT profile.

Would it be possible for CodeWriter to tweek the Windows registry when I add a customer extension or for actiprosoftware.com to explain how to work around this problem and have non standard file extensions, that do appear in Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program > List of extensions become associated with CodeWriter.

Thank you.

Comments (1)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Andrew,

Unfortuately this is due to the sandboxed security of Windows Store apps.  While the in-app UI does allow you to define additional file extensions, it will only affect the in-app file open/save dialogs.  

Desktop integration with file extensions is only supported when we, on our end, define at compile time which file extensions our app can open.  It's pretty annoying for Code Writer since this security restriction by Microsoft means that customers can't add an app to an arbitrary file extension in Windows desktop if it hasn't been predefined by the app developer (us).  Our hands are tied with that since it's how Windows Store apps work.

Sorry but I'm not aware of any workarounds since it seems pretty core to how Windows Store apps integrate with the desktop.  If you renamed your files to .vb extension, they will be able to be opened by Code Writer, but I'm not sure if that negatively affects your other usage of the files.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.