Can't make any Chinese input in Code Writer.

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Chassit
Version: 2.3.14

Hi dear dev,

Before anything, thanks for the app. Code Writer is a seriously solid tool working across Windows 8 and Windows RT. However, there's this problem troubling me ever since the first version: Chinese input is simply not allowed within the app. It doesn't matter if I switch the OS' global input method to Chinese or not, my keystrokes always send English letters into the text editing field.

There's an exception though: the "find" window (Ctrl+F) does capture Chinese input properly. Currently there's a workaround: write code in the app, call out the find window and type whatever I need there when segments of Chinese texts are required, then copy and paste into the editing field. But this is way too much trouble for an otherwise simple task. Hopefully you could have a look into it, and find a solution.

I don't think this has to do with the limitation of Microsoft's Metro app framework. There are thousands of Metro apps inside the Windows Store that could handle Chinese input neatly. To name a few: Advanced English Dictionary, Bing Dictionary, Amazon, Flipboard. It shouldn't be a major problem? After all, Code Writer only needs to capture strings passed from the Microsoft Pinyin IME built into (and works globally throughout) Windows 8/RT?

Best regards

Comments (1)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Chassit,

Yes we are aware of that issue but unfortunately it is a limitation of the WinRT framework at this time.  The problem is that Microsoft doesn't provide third-party developers (at least for C#-based apps like Code Writer) access to use the Input Method Editor. We have repeatedly asked for this from them so that we can properly support glyph entry in our custom code editor control. 

The reason it works in the places you mention is that Microsoft does allow IME input in their native TextBox and RichTextBox controls, which are used in those places.  Our syntax-highlighting code editor control (called SyntaxEditor and used in Code Writer) is a completely custom WinRT control built from scratch to support code editing features.  But there is no API accessible to us for supporting IME like the internal code that TextBox uses to support it.

Here is one of our public requests for this feature in the Microsoft forums:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/d32d7b82-a3a3-4f48-a8ca-c4974a425f3b/missing-uielementtextinput-events-and-related-types

Please help by rating that up and commenting.

Adding IME support to Code Writer is one of our top user requests, and we would have loved to have had it in Code Writer from the start, but our hands are tied with that feature until Microsoft provides us with API to interact with IME in custom C# WinRT controls.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.