Custom Language Grammar

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 5 years ago by narshe
Version: 14.2.0611

How directly does a BNF translate into your custom EBNF style grammar? I'm using this BNF http://www.sqlite.org/docsrc/doc/trunk/art/syntax/all-bnf.html

Currently I'm using Irony which is an LALR parser. I need to make drastic changes to the described BNF, due to many shift/reduce and reduce/reduce errors that happen when translating directly.

Will your grammer translate better being a LL(*) parser?

Thanks.

Comments (1)

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Our grammar uses EBNF-like syntax but written using C# or VB code.  As long as your grammar is LL-based, it should translate pretty easily.  We have some very detailed documentation in the LL(*) Parser Framework documentation topics on the syntax and show some complete examples of a grammar implementation through various phases in the Getting Started #4a-d samples.  Please check out all of those resources.  To answer your question, yes, our grammar is LL(*) based, meaning LL with infinite look-ahead that can be achieved via can-match callbacks.,

If you need assistance on techniques to make a LALR grammar more LL compliant, you would want to search the web since that has a lot of resources on that sort of thing.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0684) was released 17 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.