Compatibility Issue between SyntaxEditor v4.0.0290 and .Net Framework 4.5

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 9 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC
Version: 12.1
Platform: .NET 4.5
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Ever since I installed the .NET Framework 4.5, my application has been experiencing pretty consistent app crashes whenever the SyntaxEditor method to open a file is called.  The specific exception, as reported by Visual Studio 2013 is:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.Net20.dll

I see the following two events in the Windows Application event log:

Event 1023:

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 73FAA85B (73ED0000) with exit code 80131506.

Event 1000:

Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.0.30319.34209, time stamp: 0x5348961e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000da85b
Faulting process id: 0x2648
Faulting application start time: 0x01d047961f938855
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

I see this with Framework versions 4.5.1 and 4.5.2, on both 32 and 64-bit versions.  I uninstalled 4.5 and reinstalled 4.0 and the problem disappeared.  Wondering if you have seen this and can provide a patch to SE?  I've opened a bug report on Microsoft Connect, but I'm not hopeful

Comments (3)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rick,

We haven't had any reports of this.  When it happened, was there any stack trace or was it purely outsite of .NET altogether?  If it was purely outside of our code, it's not likely something we can fix and would need Microsoft to fix whatever they changed.  I'd recommend trying to run your app in debug mode with break on exceptions set on so you can get as much exception info as possible and let us know what you find.

Do you have steps we can use to repro it within our samples?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 9 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC

Here's the thing... the app doesn't crash when run within Visual Studio, reagarless if I'm running a Debug version or a Release version.  I only experience the problem when running the .exe directly (e.g. not from within VS).  I've also determined that an .exe generated without compiler optimizations (e.g. Debug version) runs just fine outside of VS, but one compiled with Optimizations enabled crashes.  The same Release .exe will run fine within VS but crash when run directly.

So what I've done is started up the app, attached to it in VS, opened a file to make it crash, and looked at the stack trace.  I repeated this several times using the exact same steps and noticed that the crash doesn't always occur in the same part of the code, e.g. the traces are different.  And because the code is optimized, VS doesn't give much information.  I have one of the stack traces that I can send you, if you want to look at it.

I also tried to create this in the sample app, but wasn't able to.  I'm not really sure where to go from here...

Answer - Posted 9 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC

I was able to find a resolution to the problem. I knew that the crash always happened in the same function of the application (opening a new file for editing).  Between that, the nature of the exception, and the stack trace, I narrowed my focus to a specific set of functions within the application.  I modified the call that creates a new DocumentWindow instance (which hosts SE), to pass objects ByRef rather than ByVal.  .NET 4.5.x seems to like this better...

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.