Saving new files can't be right

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 9 years ago by RafaelLVX
Version: 2.4.15

Hi. It's me again.

Here I was clicking on "create new txt file". When saving that new file, it saves a CSS file, because alphabetically that is the first option in my file formats. I think it's great that I can choose to save a css file after I created a txt file, I could need that some day. But in most cases, if I want to create a file and the first thing I did was to select file format, by default it should be already selected correctly when trying to save it.

Edit: same goes for the "save as" window, which leads me to think the problem is with "save as", not just new files. I wanted to save an existent "index.html" file into a different location, clicked on save as, at first try css was selected, so it saved index.html.css. Then I tried again, save as, manually clicked on the html format, and guess what, it wanted to save index.html.html. This can't be right.

Thanks again.

[Modified 9 years ago]

Comments (1)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

I don't remember this being a problem in the past in Windows 8.x so I wonder if it's a bug that is in the new Save As dialog that Windows 10 provides.  All we do is set some parameters and call it.  I believe in the past, if a file had an extension, it would determine which file type combobox item to select by default.  But that isn't working here in Windows 10 for some reason (probably a bug in Microsoft's code).  We found that if we reorder, the file type options so the current file type is the first one added to the list, it will be selectedb y default.  We will make that change for the next build.

The new file Save As dialog is the same as an existing Save As dialog.  It seems like once you have an item selected in the file type combobox, you can pick any of the extensions listed in the selected combobox item.  So for instance, I could rename a "test.txt" file to "test.log" if the Text file type is selected and it will allow it.  If I renamed it to "test.css" though while Text file type is selected, the dialog seems to force the first possible file extension from the Text file type onto the end of the filename, such as "test.css.txt".  Unfortunately that is all done in Microsoft's code and isn't behavior we can control.

After the tweaks described above and trying to repro the issue with accumulating file extensions, I wasn't able to make that occur.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.