Designer null pointer exception (WinFormsStudio)

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 8 years ago by dharrison_ch - Zurich, Switzerland
Version: 14.1.0323

Having designed an app UI involving the DockManager plus two TabWindow, which in turn contain controls, I find that after the VS2013/15 project is opened and I show the design view in VS I get a null pointer exception dialog. As well as the dialog I get a red rectangle shown in the ToolWindow, one then after a moment or two in the other. Having failed to discover anything useful about this issue, can you shed light on how to get around such a problem.

I have had to delete the two tool windows plus the DockManager object (which after the null pointer exception cannot be "opend" from its smart tag)...so am faced with "starting again"...not a pleasant task.

I would appreciate your earliest feedback...

Thanks and regards

David Harrison

Jet Messaging Technologies AG

p.s. could you please confirm again the correct and ONLY set of winforms/SyntaxEditor/Shared libraries that I should have installed for a fully consistent ecosystem of controls/types...thx

Comments (3)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi David,

It's hard to say what caused that without being able to debug it.  Before you deleted those, did you close out of VS, reopen, rebuild the project and reopen the Form to see if it worked ok again?

As long as you are only referencing our assemblies from the same version (major.minor.build number), things should be working ok.  You don't want to mix builds of our products in the same app though because all the controls rely on the Shared library.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by dharrison_ch - Zurich, Switzerland

Hi A Team,

Thanks for the insights...

Yes, i did close, restart VS (2010/2015) + clean/rebuild a number of times. I
also commented out (just to test) the Dispose logic related to the hosting
Form, but to no avail.

Can you list the current, correct assemblies for WinForms UIStudio, Shared,
SyntaxEditor etc. My account (Jet Messaging Technologies AG) lists the licenced
products. I really want to get down to the correct set of Assemblies that will
hopefully be the basis of a cleann & organised Designer Toolbox.

Thanks & Regards

David Harrison

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi David,

If you uninstall all the Actipro assemblies you have and then download the latest WinForms Studio 2014.1 build from your account and install that, you should be having completely compatible assemblies.  At the current time, the build number of those 2014.1 version assemblies is 323.  Once you have them referenced, you can use the VS Properties tool window to ensure they all are that build.

Also the Deployment topic in the documentation that comes with the controls lists the assemblies that it includes.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.