Where has the "dock near workspace" from old version gone?

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 8 years ago by Markus Springweiler
Version: 16.1.0631

I cannot reconstruct a layout which I have defined by xaml with drag operations. This worked PERFECTLY with the old version. This means I can change the factory layout and there is no chance to change the layout afterwards so it becomes similar again.

In the past nearly every drag operation of toolwindows (no document/mdi involved) provided 2 options: A "near" and a "far" docking relative to the workspace (maybe you have better words for this).

Lets take the QuickStart "Workspace content":

1. disable auto-hide for toolwindow "Find results 1" so it comes docked to the left
  2. dock the "output" to the bottom of "Find results 1" so at the left side you have 50% vertical split
  3. the "error list" tool window is now on bottom, BUT NOT USING ENTIRE WIDTH (WHICH IS GOOD!)
  4. now float the "error list" tool window
  5. try to dock the "error list" where it was after step 3

As said, this works perfectly well with 2015.1: You have 2 drop targets there: In the middle of the screen for "near" docking and at the borders for "far"="greedy" docking. With the new 2016.1 version these "near" targets only appear when using (tabbed) mdi/documents.

For the real world application see this screen shot (using 2015.1 controls): http://manual.doublepics.de/files/de/3440658/13893648/6/1457688376877/CockpitMainScreen.png
(
Ignore the outer document based MDI docksite; the "Übersicht" document contains a nested docksite which is Workspace based).

The tool window named "Server-Suchjobs" on top of the horizontally centered workspace: Once you floated it now (using 2016.1) you have no chance in adding it there again, you can only insert it on top with taking FULL WIDTH, and you definitely don't want to take any height from the 2 toolwindowcontainers at the left and right side of the workspace which already contain 2 or 3 toolwindows each (left side: Ordner (Baum) + Filter // right side: Kategorien + Vorschau + Karte).
In fact I did not even float the toolwindow, I just wanted to change it from above workspace to below workspace.

BTW: Using 2016.1 the same screenshot will look much better (but all tool windows are lacking an icon, see other thread).

[Modified 8 years ago]

Comments (1)

Answer - Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Markus,

Thanks for reporting this.  This scenario appears to be an oversight and should have been in there.  We'll fix it for the next build.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.