Command line start an pass a file to edit

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Stuart
Version: 2.5.16

Hi

I have a simple development tool in Java to manage a large web appliction. I would like this tool to use Code Writer as it's editor.

How can I call Code Writer from the command line and pass it a file to edit?

I cannot find a traditional exe for this.

Stuart

Comments (5)

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Stuart,

Check out the documentation for the app (when you press F1).  There is a section in that named Protocol Activation that tells how to use a URL to open a file.

Actipro Software Support

'Protocol Activation' I dont think I would ever have got that one!

I will check it out.

Thanks.

So I tried it as follows:

start "" "codewriter://open?path=C:\CCP\CCP50\start.bat"

It opens up codewriter but tells me I cannot open the file.

I have read the help and can see the reason! 'I do not have permission' unless I have already opened it!

My issue is that this makes this tool useless for my purpose! I just need to open a file in MY file system. I cannot understand the rational for removing this feature. Yes a 'protocol' is fancy, nice to have and all that, but opening a file from the command line is fundamental.

As a source code editing tool (that is not a full IDE) this reduces it's usefulness dramatically.

I can see the use of the protocol but if I cannot 'just open a file' for example like 'cmd /c codewriter myfile.java' then this super code editor becomes unusable for my purpose.

Sorry but its back to notepad++ for me, very disappointing as it is a really nice tool.

Stuart

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Stuart,

I feel your frustration but it's not a restriction imposed by us.  It's due to Microsoft putting all UWP apps like Code Writer in a security sandbox that prevents file access unless the user has previously opened a file via a dialog.  It's really annoying for our kind of app but unfortunately is managed by the core Microsoft file APIs we call, so we are affected downstream by it.

Actipro Software Support

I do understand. This is why we prefer Linux as a dev environment running in a VM on a windows host but it is not an option for me at the moment.

Perhaps a version that is not UWP!

Thanks for the reply. Product support is outstanding:-)

Stuart

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.