Prevent ToolWindow always on top.

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 7 years ago by rex hui
Version: 17.1.0651

I found out one difference between ToolWindow and DocumentWindow is that ToolWindow is always on top of the main window (or docksite?) 

While DocumentWindow can be behind the main window. Is there a way to change such behavior for the ToolWindow.

I want all the docking flexibilities of ToolWindow but I do not want it to be always on top.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

Answer - Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Per this forum thread, we have added a new option to v2017.1 build 652 that allows this.  We are hoping to launch build 652 today.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 7 years ago by rex hui

Build 652 FloatingWindowShowInTaskBarMode.Always solved the question. Thank you!

Posted 5 years ago by Adele - Polystream (Elektraglide)

Hello,

We just acquired the Docking tool for WPF, I am setting the FloatingWindowShownInTaskBarMode to Always, this does set the Owner of the window to null as  expected, but when I minimize my main window, the floating toolwindow is also minimized.   Is there a way to minimize the Main window but the Floating toolwindow remains open?  I do not have a workspace in my application, only ToolWindows. 

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Adele,

I just tried adding this to our DockSite in our main Simple IDE demo and when I floated a tool window, I was able to minimize the main Window while the floating tool window stayed visible on the desktop:

FloatingWindowShowInTaskBarMode="Always"

Do you not see the same thing?

Actipro Software Support

Hi, thank you for your reply.  

I have managed to find out why this is happening. Normally it would work fine (I created a test app to test it, and the floating windows remained open);  but the application I am working on overrides the OnStateChanged method of the MainWindow and call the Hide() method if the window is minimized.  This also hides the floating tool windows.  I used another docking tool where the floating windows remained open, even if the main window is hidden,so it should be possible to have them remain open.  

protected override void OnStateChanged(EventArgs e)
{
   if (WindowState == WindowState.Minimized)
        Hide();
    else
       _windowState = WindowState;

base.OnStateChanged(e);
}

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Adele,

I believe it's the DockSite.CanFloatingDockHostsHideOnDockSiteUnload setting that triggers that behavior.  Change that to false to prevent it.

Actipro Software Support

That did the trick, thank you for your help.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.