Allow to configure a default filetype on opening Code Writer

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Jaimy

Hey guys,

Awesome app, have it now as default at my work place :)

I have a suggestion:
It would be great if we are able to configure that if you open Code Writer manually it can already have a new document opened so I don't have to click this every time:

1. Explorer

2. New

3. Select a filetype, for example Text

So what I suggest is in Settings -> General a Yes/No slide box with Open new document on startup and under that a combobox with a selection of the filetypes so one can be chosen.

A new document should NOT be created when Code Writer is opened on opening a file, then only that file should be open.

Regards,

Jaimy

Comments (2)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jaimy,

We're happy you like the app.  During the app open process, we reopen any documents that were being edited during the last app session.  I'm curious how this kind of idea would work in the scenario like this:

1. Open the app.
  2. Per your request, this triggers a new document to be created automatically.
  3. Edit the document a bit and close the app (never closing the new document tab).
  4. Open the app again, which restores the previously-open document that was created.
  5. Do we create another new document here?

That would seem wrong since it would cause them to accumulate.  Or do we only open a new document if there is nothing being opened AND there are no previously-open documents being restored?  In other words, a new blank document should only be created if the app workspace would be completely empty when displayed.  Is that what you mean?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 6 years ago by Jaimy

Hey there!

Well, first off I think maybe you can make it an option, which doesn't have to be on per default.

It's a good point you make, I have to confirm that I have restoring last file on opening the app turned off as I don't like it but basically I think it would work best like this:
When the optioni is turned on:

Opening the app manually -> New non-saved document

Opening the app via opening a file -> No new non-saved document

So yes, only open a new document if nothing is being opened.
It's basically how for example Notepad++ handles it also :)Thanks for your guys hard work, hope more awesome features will come to this product.

Regards,Jaimy

[Modified 6 years ago]

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.