From Xml to PropertyGrid

Grids for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Antoine Picard
Version: 17.2.0665

Hi,

I'm actually trying to use your product, Actipro Grids to display some properties contained in an XML file.

Is there any way to read that XML and create the associated grid ? I saw a post from 6y ago talking about DataFactory. Could it be the solution ?

AP

Comments (4)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Antoine,

While we do't have anything built-in that reads XML to provide property grid data, you certainly could write your own custom data factory to read XML data or any other data and build up a property model hierarchy from that data.  There are a couple QuickStart samples in the main sample project that show custom data factories that should help you get started.

Actipro Software Support

Hi !

Thanks for your answer ! I'll try to understand how to create my data factory so.

Do you think you'll update this product with a feature for XML ?

I've seen in your release history that in version 13.0592 you "Fixed a bug where MacroAction.ReadFromXml wouldn't restore properly." What is that MacroAction ?

AP

[Modified 6 years ago]

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Antoine,

We haven't really had any requests for anything XML-related with PropertyGrid.  In XML by itself, there isn't a defined structure requirement.  It would need some kind of DTD or XSD paired with it to know what to do.  Not only that but there are issues with things like repeating dynamic complex sequences in those schemas, which wouldn't really be easily supported in a PropertyGrid.  Along with a high potential for element attributes, which wouldn't be supported either.  I don't really see how it could work in a generalized use case, so it's probably not something we will work on.  If you have some very basic XML element-only markup that you wish to support, making a custom data factory would be your best option and should be doable.

The MacroAction you mentioned is related to our SyntaxEditor product for recording typing actions, and isn't applicable to PropertyGrid.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

Thanks for this complete answer ! I think I understood how to proceed.

Thanks for your time

AP

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.