Format document & Format selection not working

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Jeremy
Version: 3.2.28

I cannot get the Format Document or Format Selection tools to work.

When I select the Editing popup, both options are greyed out. It doesn't matter if I highlight some code for formatting or not. 'Ctrl+Shift+G, D' and 'Ctrl+Shift+G, F' do not work either. All other options are usable from the Editing popup... just not formatting.

This looks like a decent tool and I am evaluating it for work purposes however, code formatting is a must so it's a deal-breaker if this is not available.

Cheers

Comments (3)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jeremy,

Those formatting features are only available in certain file types that have "text formatting" implementations.  The File Types portion of the documentation tells you which file types support text formatting.  Which file type are you looking for it in?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 6 years ago by Jeremy

Thanks for your response. I've had a look at the File Types section and indeed, the only file formats your application can format are JS and XAML/XML.

With such limited support for formatting, it would be helpful to be more upfront regarding limitations. I had a good look through that documentation the first time, and having the capabilities listed next to each format is very hard to digest - you might be better off with a table.

Also, the Format Documentation / Format Selection options take up a large portion of the 'EDITING' menu. Being so prominent, one would assume that this functionality should be available for all files. A tooltip explaining its limitations or similar would be helpful.

I'm not sure how actively you're developing this tool but it would be great to see formatting improved to include more file types. Personally, I am looking for a good tool with this included as I work in a corporation with a lot of people touching the same files every day and formatting / minifying is a super-helpful tool.

Cheers!

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll make a note of them.  You never mentioned which specific file types you were hoping to see text formatting for.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.