Can you disable dragging when only one MDI window is open?

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Jim Foye
Version: 16.1.0636

If I have two MDI windows open, I can grab the tab of one and start dragging, the docking adorner appears, etc., etc.

If I only have one MDI window open, I can still drag, but all I see is the outline of the window following the mouse. It's really a "drag to nowhere". I was wondering if you should just disable dragging in this case?

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jim,

There are a lot of scenarios to consider there.  First, dragging to float might be supported in this app.  Second, there could be linked dock sites that would allow drop targets.  Third, the docking window being dragged might be a tool window and thus support docking elsewhere outside of the MDI area. 

I suppose we could add a check on all of those situations before allowing a drag if the dragged window is a document window (not a tool window).  And block the drag in that case. 

But on the flip side, I don't like that some functionality (even a drag to nowhere as you said) would be hidden in some scenarios and not others.  That is not usually advisable in the UI realm since it takes away from telling the user what they can expect to happen when they take an action.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 6 years ago by Jim Foye

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Jim

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.