Trying to upgrade from v17.1.0651 to v18.1.0673

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 5 years ago by Emir Dizdarevic
Version: 18.1.0673
Platform: .NET 4.7
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I am trying to upgrade from v17 to v18, everything is working fine with v17 but when I upgrade to version v18, I am getting a exception:

InnerException {System.Exception: Cannot find resource named 'TargetType=ActiproSoftware.Windows.Themes.SharedResourceKeys ID=EmbeddedButtonBaseOverrideStyleKey'. Resource names are case sensitive.
at System.Windows.StaticResourceExtension.ProvideValueInternal(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, Boolean allowDeferredReference)
at System.Windows.StaticResourceExtension.ProvideValue(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CallProvideValue(MarkupExtension me, IServiceProvider serviceProvider)} System.Exception

any tips for where the things go wrong?

Best Regards

Comments (8)

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Emir,

That's odd, I don't believe anything was changed with that.  In fact, I still see the SharedResourceKeys.EmbeddedButtonBaseOverrideStyleKey defined in our 2018.1 XAML themes for buttons, so I would expect it to work.

If you can't sort out the problem, please make a new simple sample project that shows it happening and email that to our support address.  Mention this thread in your email, remove any bin/obj folders from the ZIP, and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Then we can have a look at that to see what's going on.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for answer!

The problem is that I can't reproduce it with a sample project... Do you have any tips regarding upgrading? Or is it enough to replace .dll's and change reference? 

Because everything works fine with v17. 

Best regards

Hi Emir,

The 2018.1 version should work effectively the same as the 2017.1 version, meaning you should be able to just reference the new versions of the Shared and Docking assemblies.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 5 years ago by eric

We have similar issue on our side.

Cannot find resource named 'TargetType=ActiproSoftware.Windows.Themes.SharedResourceKeys ID=ButtonBaseStyleKey'. Resource names are case sensitive.

And for some other projects it complaining about different keys. 

Posted 5 years ago by Alexandre Mailhot

We had the same issue,

We simply had to cleanup our project files to make sure there were no specific version string still listed.

ie.

<Reference Include="ActiproSoftware.Docking.Wpf, Version=17.2.662.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=36ff2196ab5654b9, processorArchitecture=MSIL">

to

<Reference Include="ActiproSoftware.Docking.Wpf">

----

Note that the project were compiling just fine, but we had the same runtime error as you.

Just removing the Version=17.2.662.0 from ALL our project files fixed it.

Dont forget to also verify referenced projects.  They need to be recompiled with 18.1 and no Version specified inside them too.

Hopefull this helps you,

Alexandre Mailhot

Safe Engineering Services & technologies ltd.

Hello,

That resource is also still defined in 2018.1 and hasn't changed in recent years.  Are you sure you are referencing our Shared Library assembly in your project?  Both of the keys mentioned in that thread are defined in that.

And thanks for the help Alexandre... those are good tips.  Note that you should be able to use "specific version" as long as ALL the references in your projects use the exact same build.  If there is any mixing (or some weren't recompiled after the upgrade), then what Alexandre suggested might be better.

Actipro Software Support

Hello guys

And thanks for the feedback :)

I have tried removing the version and everything without any luck. But I have managed to figure out what is causing the problem for me and thats that I am calling this method: ThemeManager.CurrentTheme = ThemeName.AeroNormalColor.ToString(); early and for some reason this gives me that exception.. But it works fine with the old version. 

I only reference to this library from one of my libraries. 

Hi Emir,

I wouldn't expect there to really be any recent code changes on our end in setting the Aero theme.  And you should be able to call that logic right in your app's startup code.

Are you able to reproduce this in a new simple sample project you could send to our support address so that we can see what's happening?  If you send a sample over, please remove the bin/obj folders from the ZIP and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.