need help creating a custom indicator

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 15 years ago by SamWare
Pardon my ignorance, but I cannot figure out how to inherit any "Indicator" class and I've found no examples.

public class MethodIndicator : ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SpanIndicator
{
    public MethodIndicator(string name, int displayPriority, bool hasGlyph, IndicatorMarks indicatorMarks)
    {
        //
    }

protected override void DrawMarks(Graphics g, Rectangle bounds)
    {
        //
    }
}
When I compile I get this error: "No overload for method 'SpanIndicator' takes '0' arguments".

I don't inherit abstract classes much, and I've not encountered this type of problem prior to now. I know it's my lack of knowledge, but I don't know where to find the information that will help me fix this.

Comments (3)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Here's some sample code for an indicator... note where I marked where you should add drawing code for a glyph if you want.
using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Drawing.Drawing2D;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using ActiproSoftware.Drawing;

namespace ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor {

/// <summary>
    /// Represents a breakpoint indicator.
    /// </summary>
    public class BreakpointIndicator : SpanIndicator {

private static int defaultDisplayPriority;

private Color    backColor;
        private Color    foreColor;

/// <summary>
        /// Initializes a static instance of the <c>BreakpointIndicator</c> class.
        /// </summary>
        static BreakpointIndicator() {
            defaultDisplayPriority = 20;
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Initializes a new instance of the <c>BreakpointIndicator</c> class.
        /// </summary>
        public BreakpointIndicator() : 
            this(BreakpointIndicator.DefaultName, BreakpointIndicator.DefaultDisplayPriority, Color.White, Color.Maroon) {
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Initializes a new instance of the <c>BreakpointIndicator</c> class with a custom name and color scheme.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="name">The name to identify the type of indicator.</param>
        /// <param name="displayPriority">The priority of display level for the indicator.</param>
        /// <param name="foreColor">The <c>Color</c> to use when drawing the foreground of the indicator.</param>
        /// <param name="backColor">The <c>Color</c> to use when drawing the background of the indicator.</param>
        public BreakpointIndicator(string name, int displayPriority, Color foreColor, Color backColor) : 
            base(name, displayPriority, true, IndicatorMarks.StyleAssignment) {

// Initialize parameters
            this.backColor = backColor;
            this.foreColor = foreColor;
        }

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        // PUBLIC PROCEDURES
        /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or sets the default priority of display level for the newly created indicators of this class.
        /// </summary>
        /// <value>
        /// The priority of display level for the newly created indicators of this class.
        /// The default value is <c>20</c>.
        /// </value>
        /// <remarks>
        /// Indicators with the lowest priority numbers are painted first with other indicators 
        /// painted on top in increasing priority order.
        /// </remarks>
        public static int DefaultDisplayPriority {
            get {
                return defaultDisplayPriority;
            }
            set {
                defaultDisplayPriority = value;
            }
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Gets the default name for a breakpoint.
        /// </summary>
        /// <value>The default name for a breakpoint.</value>
        public static string DefaultName {
            get {
                return "Breakpoint";
            }
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Draws the glyph associated with the indicator.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="g">The <c>Graphics</c> object to use for drawing.</param>
        /// <param name="bounds">A <c>Rectangle</c> specifying the bounds in which to draw.</param>
        protected internal override void DrawGlyph(Graphics g, Rectangle bounds) {
            // TODO: Drawing code for indicator glyph goes here
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Draws the marks associated with the indicator.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="g">The <c>Graphics</c> object to use for drawing.</param>
        /// <param name="bounds">A <c>Rectangle</c> specifying the bounds in which to draw.</param>
        protected internal override void DrawMarks(Graphics g, Rectangle bounds) {
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Returns the <see cref="HighlightingStyle"/> to use when drawing text within the indicator.
        /// </summary>
        /// <returns>The <see cref="HighlightingStyle"/> to use when drawing text within the indicator.</returns>
        /// <remarks>This method should be implemented by indicators that have a style assignment.</remarks>
        protected internal override HighlightingStyle GetHighlightingStyle() {
            return new HighlightingStyle("BreakpointStyle", "Breakpoint", foreColor, backColor, false, false, false);
        }
    }
}
[Modified at 10/01/2005 11:52 AM]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by phruby
This is a great help but it doesn't compile.

At the DrawGylph and DrawMarks, I get
BreakpointIndicator.DrawGlyph(System.Drawing.Graphics, System.Drawing.Rectangle)': cannot change access modifiers when overriding 'protected' inherited member 'ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SpanIndicator.DrawGlyph(System.Drawing.Graphics, System.Drawing.Rectangle)'

Also, at HighlightingStyle, I get
The type or namespace name 'HighlightingStyle' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Use a protected access modified and not protected internal. Sorry, that was copied from our code. Try that out.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0341) was released 8 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.