Make auto-hidden windows show with delay

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Roy Arvenäs - Software Developer, TAT - The Astoning Tribe
Version: 2.0.92
Hi

Is there a way that I can make a toolwindow that is in auto-hide, show itself, and then stay up for a few seconds, and then go back to hiding, without activating the actual toolwindow.

What I want to do is that I want to call the toolwindow from another window, but it is important that the window that calls, keeps the focus.

Thanks
Roy

Comments (8)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Does ToolWindow.Activate(false) work?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Roy Arvenäs - Software Developer, TAT - The Astoning Tribe
Unfortunatly not.

My code in this case looks like this.

HiddenToolWindow->Active(false);
OtherToolWindow->Activate(true);

if I remove line 2, "OtherToolWindow" still loses focus, and can not be used with for example the arrows on the keyboard. OtherToolWindow in this case is a treeview, in which the user should be able to "step" through with the arrows, pressing enter should show "HiddenToolWindow". But since "OtherToolWindow" loses focus, it no longer catches the keyboard. Or, with line 2, it keeps focus, but "HiddenToolWindow" immediatly hides itself.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Roy
After looking at the code, I don't think there is anything exposed publicly that would allow this in the current build. If you have any specifics on what you'd like to see implemented in terms of properties to control this, then perhaps we can get this in the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks

a MinimumTimeVisible property would work for me. Specified in for example ms.

MinimumTimeVisible = 3000; for example would force the window to stay open for 3 seconds before going back into hidden status. Having this set to 0 would mean the same behaviour as it is now.

Is this possible?

/Roy
I think it's set to one second (1000ms) right now. Is that the behavior you see?

Actipro Software Support

No, it is not. it closes immediatly. 1 second would work for me, but as soon as it loses focus it starts to close.
One quick question, the millisecond delay setting will affect both this feature (how long it stays up after Activate(false) is called, which we changed now for the next maint release) and also for normally when the mouse hover shows the tool window and moves out of it. Is that ok?

Actipro Software Support

Yes, it would work, as long as I keep the time low it would be fine.

But if it only affected activate(false), that would be even better. :)

/Roy
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.