Enabling UseDragFloatPreviews on touch screen spawns semi-transparent windows that block interaction

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by Tvema
Version: 19.1.0684
Platform: .NET 4.7
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have DockSite.UseDragFloatPreviews="True" on a touch screen enabled device
  2. Tap and hold on a docking tab or window header until Windows 10 touch gesture rectangle appears
  3. Try moving finger as if you're undocking a window/tab
  4. Semitransparent blue rectangle appears and blocks interaction until the app is reopened

Reproducible on Simple IDE demo from Sample Browser (need to check menu item at "Options" > "Use Drag Float Previews").

Below is a screen recording uploaded on Google Drive which shows how to reproduce the bug.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tk0q94nxcb0onHEY-OBnhA11YnXqUJIU/view?usp=sharing

Comments (14)

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  I believe we tracked down the problem and have fixed it for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

Hello.

I'm afraid our QA team found one more related bug after update to v2019.1 build 0685. Steps to reproduce are as follows.

1. Have DockSite.UseDragFloatPreviews="True" on a touch screen enabled device
  2. Arrange multiple screens into a single tool window (with tabs at the bottom)
  3. Tap and quickly slide finger upwards on a tab header as if you're undocking that screen and then release finger
  4. Semitransparent blue rectangle appears and blocks interaction until the app is reopened

Here is a screen recording of this bug reproduction on Simple IDE demo from Sample Browser uploaded on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SIalIfB6sP_feawiJX1ly0G3OxokH1J4/view?usp=sharing

[Modified 4 years ago]

Hello,

Odd, I'm doing the same general things you are in the video but I'm not seeing it happen.  I open the Simple IDE, set UseDragFlowPreviews=True via the menu item, and float all the tool windows and attach them.  Then I start dragging tabs up and releasing them but the blue rectangle never sticks around.  It always seems to disappear as expected. 

Do you have any other tips you can give on how to reproduce it?

And you are sure you have the production build 685 and not a preview build?

Actipro Software Support

Hello,

The only thing we figured is to release very quick after you started dragging so that touch screen registers and/or software recieves just a few events. Maybe it has something to do with timing, like releasing finger just before blue rectangle actually appears.

Our hardware is a low performance rugged tablet with not very responsive touch screen. Maybe it makes it easier to reproduce the bug on our side but still it requires a lot of attempts to do so (please try harder :)).

Yes, we are using the last available build downloaded from 

"My Organization Account" > "Purchases and Licenses" > "Docking & MDI" > "Actions" > "Download Product"

We could try making some automation scripts to make a reliable reproduction of this behavior. Maybe you can suggest something that we can use to record our actions and then be played on your hardware?

[Modified 4 years ago]

Hello,

While we still can't reproduce it, we've tried adding one more delayed check to see if the left mouse button (or touch) is still pressed after the preview is initially showed.  We are hoping that might help you.  Can you write our support address and mention this thread, and we'll send you a preview build to test?  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Can you write our support address and mention this thread

Done

Tested on the preview version (19.1.0686), still reproducible. It even seems like it became easier to reproduce on this build.

https://prnt.sc/tlysg1

Recorded one more video to clearly show what is done to achieve stuck blue rectangle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SIYMI-Lu6pW1iYuWGmeLT3KKQTEfTs_q/view?usp=sharing

Hello,

Sorry, we still cannot repro it here so we are just taking guesses at things to help.  We reverted the previous change and made a new one.  It's at the same preview build URL as before.  Can you install and try that and see if it helps?

Actipro Software Support

In the last build blue rectangles disappear in short time after I make them stuck. Seems ok to me.

Here is a recording of my clinical trials:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pZSGhP5ajAop5Sd16YALic-RDryv43l2/view?usp=sharing

Hello,

Thank you for testing.  I wonder if we should make the delayed check a little quicker?  Right now it's on a one second delay.  What do you think?

Actipro Software Support

I personally think it's okay now as it is and QA team agrees. But I'm ready to test a half of a second delay. :)

I think with 0.5s delay it will be hardly noticable that something is getting stuck.

Hello,

We've updated the same preview build URL with a new preview that has a half second delay.  Can you try that out and report back?  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Hello!

On this build I almost can't tell if something is getting stuck or not. I think we can stop here. Thank you.

Hello, that's great.  Thanks for testing!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.