Bind the Ribbon:Button Tag Property to the ThemedDataGrid SelectedIndex Property

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by Peter Treier
Version: 19.1.0685

Good Afternoon,

I try to Bind the Tag Property of a ThemedDataGrid ContextMenu Button to the Grids SelectedIndex...

All I get is : Error: 4 : Cannot find source for binding with reference 'ElementName=processDataGrid'. BindingExpression:Path=SelectedIndex; DataItem=null; target element is 'Button' (Name=''); target property is 'Tag' (type 'Object')

The Goal: My Command should receive the SelectedIndex or better the SelectedItem as a Paramter.

Here is my approach

<datagrid:ThemedDataGrid x:Name="processDataGrid" AutoGenerateColumns="False" ItemsSource="{Binding ProcessList}" SelectionMode="Single">

<datagrid:ThemedDataGrid.ContextMenu>
		<ribbon:ContextMenu>
			<StackPanel>
				<ribbon:Menu>
					<ribbon:Separator Label="Processes" />
					<ribbon:Button Label="Watch this" ImageSourceSmall="Ressources/Images/16/process-browse.png"
								   Command="{Binding AddWatchCommand}" 
                                                                   Tag="{Binding SelectedIndex, ElementName=processDataGrid}"/>
				</ribbon:Menu>
			</StackPanel>
		</ribbon:ContextMenu>
	</datagrid:ThemedDataGrid.ContextMenu>

<datagrid:ThemedDataGrid.Columns>
		<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="ProcessName" Binding="{Binding ProcessName}" Header="Process Name" Width="*" />
		<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="Id" Binding="{Binding Id}" Header="Process Id" Width="75" />
		<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="Responding"
							Binding="{Binding Responding, Converter={StaticResource ProcessRespondingToTextConverter}}"
							Header="Responding" Width="100" />
		<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="TotalProcessorTime" Binding="{Binding TotalProcessorTime}"
							Header="Total Processor Time" Width="150" />
		<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="WorkingSet64"
							Binding="{Binding WorkingSet64, Converter={StaticResource FileSizeConverter}}"
							Header="Working-Set 64" Width="150" />
	</datagrid:ThemedDataGrid.Columns>

</datagrid:ThemedDataGrid>

Comments (5)

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Peter,

ContextMenus in WPF don't always resolve names the same way since they are out of the normal visual tree.  What happens if you change that binding to "{Binding Source={x:Reference processDataGrid}, Path=SelectedIndex}"?  Sometimes using x:Reference works around "cannot find source" binding errors.

Actipro Software Support

Looks not so good :-(

XamlObjectWriterException: Cannot call MarkupExtension.ProvideValue because of a cyclical dependency. Properties inside a MarkupExtension cannot reference objects that reference the result of the MarkupExtension. The affected MarkupExtensions are:
'System.Windows.Data.Binding' Line number '148' and line position '63'.

Hi Peter,

What if you used a simpler native WPF ContextMenu instead?  Does that work?

Actipro Software Support

I'm working on another project this week.
Will test a simpler control next week - can we leave the thread open?

Sure, please get back to us after testing that.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.