How to handle large number of shell items

Shell for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by rex hui
Version: 19.1.0686

I am using the Shell to display an FTP site folders structure which works well until just now when I ran into an FTP site that has 90000 folders.

After I retrieve the list of files from the ftp site, I create a new IShellObject for each item and add it to the parent folder by parentShell.Children.Add(newChildShell) and then do a parentShell.NotifyAdd(newChildShell). This works fine with hundreds of items but it locks up the application when there are 90000 folder items to add.

I noticed that the NotifyAdd is the one that is freezing up the application.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments (2)

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rex,

I tried adding 100,000 items in our CustomShellObjects QuickStart's CustomShellService and it happened in a matter of milliseconds.  We can look into this further but would probably need a new simple sample project that shows it happening so we can debug that scenario.  Please send one to our support address, exclude the bin/obj folders from the ZIP you send, and reference this thread in the message.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 4 years ago by rex hui

Just sent. Thank you!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.